Do you need to own your own tanks for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't personally. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I've done sidemount. Just grab two cylinders that are the same when you get where you're going.

As long as you're aware of the buoyancy characteristics of the cylinders you should be fine. You don't want to weight yourself counting on the cylinders being steel when they're actually aluminum.

That's pretty much it. When we fly somewhere we can pretty much plan on encountering AL 80s. The preferred approach is to have a right/left valve in side mount but dealing with two right hand valves is no big deal.

We also carry 2 pound weights that we thread on the tails of the cam straps we use with the stage rigging for our sidemount tanks to help keep the tails down and normalize the overall buoyancy and trim compared to the steel 72s, LP95s, and HP 100s we also dive. The stage kits take about 30 seconds to put on and take off and only weigh a couple pounds, so they travel very well.

It makes it a little easier, especially if you dive a lot, but it isn't necessary. I just spent a week in Cozumel diving sidemount with rented cylinders. It would have been nice to have left and right hand valves but it isn't absolutely necessary.

If you like having your own gear and you can afford... why not? The valves with the shoulders on them aren't critical but they're nice.

Aside from that get a stage rigging kit which has a cam strap or easily adjustable jubilee clip, takes a few minutes to set up and get off again. Easy.

One thing to consider is that depending on your setup, you may have trouble with clipping in yoke tanks.

Example with the Nomad Ring Bungie or somthing like it, the clean back of a DIN tank valve is where the upper clip is bound into. A yoke makes it a bit crowded there.

On the other hand, a yoke knob gives a nice place to hook the bungie.

One thing to consider is that depending on your setup, you may have trouble with clipping in yoke tanks.

Example with the Nomad Ring Bungie or somthing like it, the clean back of a DIN tank valve is where the upper clip is bound into. A yoke makes it a bit crowded there.

On the other hand, a yoke knob gives a nice place to hook the bungie.
Let's go diving when Marci and I come down after labor day - we'll sell you on Edd's "old school" kit for the Nomad. Way better than ring bungees as it eliminates the clipping into the choker issue, but still gives you a bolt snap to D-ring connection. :D

no, it doesn't. unless some tank fairy futzes with my clips and lengthens the lines on them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom