Do you need to own your own tanks for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can I make my own side mount straps that I can use on my probe lx so I don't have to buy a whole new sidemount bc?

Jacket BCDs don't really lend themselves to being an ideal platform for sidemount - lots of clutter along the torso sides, no crotch strap and generally awkward buoyancy characteristics.

You'd need some form of buttplate/d-rings to clip the lower snap onto... and then a method to secure bungees from the rear of the BCD/backplate to the front d-rings.

Personally, I think it'd be horrible...

Back to the original question: One of the factors I like most about sidemount diving is the ability to turn up at any dive operator that rents DIN tanks and hook them up for doubles diving. DIN AL80's are quite common in Asia... so it's a big positive factor. Not 'quite' as lovely as dedicated set-up sidemount tanks, but nice nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom