Do You Service Your Own Regs?

Do you service your own regs?

• Yes - And I am affiliated with a shop or manufacturer.

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • Yes - But I am pretty much on my own.

Votes: 55 21.4%
  • No - But I'd like to learn.

Votes: 120 46.7%
  • No - Are you Crazy? It's only $40 a year!

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I've started this poll for reasons other than curiosity.

Those of you who service your own regs but are not affiliated with a shop or manufacturer may have found it difficult to get the parts, tools, or specs that make servicing your regs relatively easy. Actually, getting certified on a particular reg may be one of the easier steps in becoming a Do-it-Yourselfer.

Netdoc and I have already traded a couple PMs on the subject, and it stands to reason that there is a wealth of knowledge within the Scubaboard membership. I have borrowed a list of suppliers from Vance Harlow's
"Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" book and placed it on my website. Vance gives a short description of the supplier's specialty and quirks, and I have added "clickable" website addresses.

If you can add to this information, please post a reply or send me a PM.

Thanks!

P.S. The Supplier List is under "Dive Documents" and you get there by clicking on my URL below.

P.P.S. If you service your own regs, which ones are they?

no but i would like to learn to.

I would like to be able to fine tune my own regs. I have even had them serviced and had problems with them on the next dive. If i could fix it at the site it would save the dive , time and money.

I will need to look into this more

Andy

Yes I do my own. Most dive centers take too long do service(2 weeks or more). A good technician is hard to find. then when you find one he isn't paid enough to stay around to keep doing it. Just go look at the service area in your shop. If it's not neat and clean they are not doing a good service on your gear either. I have no problems finding parts and I am factory trained to service my brand of regs......... My$.02
Friggincold

I Talked to my LDS today about setting in when a rep comes to certify some new employees. He said he didn't mind me setting in but now I have to see if I can get off work.

I think he is going to take me to DEMA next year too.

Chad

Most seals take a set after a certain number of cycles. I have heard anything from 10-15 to 250+. Most LDSes do not own the device to cycle the regs and do not take the time to do it manually. I always seem to rebuild, breath on it for five minutes (a real pain sometimes) and make my initial "fine adjustments". Depending on the first dive(s) afterwards, I may have to go back in and readjust the fine tune (IP, cracking pressure, etc). After that the reg is usually maintenance free until the NEXT rework.

The SP S600 and G250HP have an auto anti set feature. I assume this takes the tension off the 2nd stg poppet. The earlier G250HP's had a manual anti set. My 250HP is two years old, but new to me when I bought it on EBay. While in my diving locker I inspected it, hooked it up and inhaled on the unit and it seemed a little "clunky" with a mechanical feel. However, the lever/diaphragm seemed spot on so I didn't touch any adjustments. Later, in the water, it breathed as slick as one could want.

One of these days I'll have to adjust or inspect it internally but right now it's fine, no change. I went ahead and bought a schematic anyhow. Looking at the drawing I'm still not sure how to remove and disassemble the 2nd stage control knob and balance valve. The first stage looks pretty straightforward. However, I'll need to get some more info eventually.

I got lucky and ended getting a full time job at my LDS.. Have been sent to all the service classes:)

Also have spent a lot of money on tools...Don't recommend opening up too many regs unless ya got the tools and a descent mechanical ability ( not that it is rocket science)!!:D

Most places will not sell you kits unless you have the factory course;-0 Some people just shouldn't be in them.

Even if you are not a service tech you can still take a good equipment course and learn some good maintenance tips and possibly some minor adjustments that can be performed.:D

NINJA

If you have Apeks regs, here's a great source for stuff that might be of interest, including a great hands-on course that should allow *ANYONE* to do regulator service.

http://www.mikey.net/deeperstuff/

Check out the Repair site.

The info along with tools from:
http://www.scubatools.com

And parts sold on:
http://www.diveinn.com
(Search for Apeks)

Should allow you to do *ALL* of your Apeks regulator work on your own.

I downloaded the 'course', and tore apart and put back together my T20 2nd stage. I also realized (now) that the difference between a T20/TX40, and TX50 is merely 3 parts (if you don't consider the badging a part). The T20->TX40 requires the addition of a simple heat-exchangor, and the TX40->TX50 requires modifying the balance-spring adjuster so it can be done by hand, vs. using a tool.

Cool stuff.

ps. Stone, I had a really hard time finding the DIY links on your WWW site. Where exactly are they at?

Newton,

Thanks for the good information on Apex Regs! I'll add that link to the list.
ps. Stone, I had a really hard time finding the DIY links on your WWW site. Where exactly are they at?
If you are talking about my Regulator DIY links, there are two ways to get there: 1) From my homepage, click on the "Dive Documents" link and look for "Regulator Service Sources." You can click on HTML to open the web page, or right-click on Word to download the Word version of the page. 2) From my homepage, click on the "Diver Tips" link and look for Scuba Regulator Parts and Tools in bold and the link "Regulator Service Sources" will take you to the HTML page.

If your computer stores recently visited pages, you may need to hit your refresh button to get pages I have recently updated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom