Do You Service Your Own Regs?

Do you service your own regs?

• Yes - And I am affiliated with a shop or manufacturer.

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • Yes - But I am pretty much on my own.

Votes: 55 21.4%
  • No - But I'd like to learn.

Votes: 120 46.7%
  • No - Are you Crazy? It's only $40 a year!

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue,

Thanks for sending that manual, I received it and printed it. It should give me a good head start until I locate somewhere to take the class.

Thanks again.

Brent

but if anyone knows a source for USD overhaul kit I would gladly appreciate it. The guy in Tulsa I trust doesn't normally deal with USD.

I would love to learn how to service my own regs. I do almost all of the service on my surveying equipment since it usually takes to long to get it back without paying a fortune in shipping (the stuff is heavy)and I always make sure its right before I use it in the field. :mean:

plsdiver4377 once bubbled...
I would love to learn how to service my own regs. I do almost all of the service on my surveying equipment since it usually takes to long to get it back without paying a fortune in shipping (the stuff is heavy)and I always make sure its right before I use it in the field. :mean:

check www.airspeedpress.com

Ok - where do I go for Oceanic parts / manuals? I just called the LDS here about getting my delta 4 reg serviced - they wanted somewhere along the lines of $100+ dollars! Absolutely crazy.....

Any ideas?

Best bet is to look for the manuals and parts on Ebay unless you have underworld contacts within the dive community.

Sometimes I have to repair my own stuff. My most recent example: My brothers auto-inflator was sticking and he asked me to drop it off at the dive shop to have it fixed. The dive shop called me a couple of days later and said that it was corroded together and couldn't be disassembled. They could sell me a new one for $30. I picked up the old one and took it home. I put a wrench on the nut that was supposed to be immoveable and it simply unscrewed. I pulled out the inflator button shaft, greased it with silicone, put it back together, and it works fine. It took two minutes.
On another recent instance, I took an old but functioning regulator set in (at another dive shop) to have overhauled. It worked fine, but it hadn't been overhauled in a long time and it seemed like a good idea. After about two months the dive shop gave it back to me as a bag of parts with a BS explanation of why it could not be repaired. I had to put it back together myself. It now works fine.
I have to be either buy new equipment everytime the dive shop tells me to, or I have to try to fix it myself.

Back
Top Bottom