Do You Service Your Own Regs?

Do you service your own regs?

• Yes - And I am affiliated with a shop or manufacturer.

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • Yes - But I am pretty much on my own.

Votes: 55 21.4%
  • No - But I'd like to learn.

Votes: 120 46.7%
  • No - Are you Crazy? It's only $40 a year!

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro parts are very hard to come by. Apeks are a bit easier, but still, it's like pulling teeth.

I was going to use a G250 second with an Apeks DST first, but decided to sell the G250 instead and buy another TX50.

Scubapro are also a pain in the neck, because they are pretty fussy. My M20/G250 has a consistent problem where there is a tiny leak, that is impossible to find. Here is what happens.

When I pressurize the reg, then turn off the valve, the pressure will drop very very slowly. You can almost not see it on the pressure gauge, but if you go away and come back 10mn later it has dropped 500 psi.

Water check is no good, because the leak is so small that it's impossible to see where it comes from, or if you're looking at the leak or just some bubbles that happen to have clung to one of the many ridges on the first stage.

Why do I care, you ask? I use these regs on stage bottles, and I like to pressure them at the start of the dive but keep the tank valve closed. This ensures that no water gets in, but in case of a problem with the reg you don't drain your tank. At the end of the dive, the pressure on the reg always reads zero, and I"m concerned that water may be getting in (though I don't think it has, judging from what the inside of the reg looks like).

Anyway, never had a problem with the Apeks so I'm sticking with those.

Although, I recall the leak being much slower than you describe - On the order of 1000psi per hour or less. In the tub, the leak rate changed as a function of the adjustment knob position. I suspected a leak from the balance chamber. I disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled and the leak disappeared.

I've decide to do the trainning from Poseidon for servicing regs, because I own 6 Jetstreams.

Servicing them costs me around 450 US$ per year.

Training was 150 and tools were 125, so I've spent 275$.

Servicing parts cost me around 15$ (x6=100$)

So I save a lot of money each year and I manage my own servicing timings.

PS - I easily get the servicing kits from the Poseidon dealer even if I don't own a dive shop.

I work for a city police dive team and would be very interested in taking a class on servicing poseidon regs, I currently service interspiro. My local dive shop just charge me 125 buck to service my first stage. Any ideas who or how I can get in this class?

Thanks again

Brent

Hi hunter

I would advise you to find a Poseidon dealer to teach you.
What kind of Poseidon regs do you own?
I have the servicing manual in PDF format, but it's useless without the right tools and some knowledge.

Sue

hunter991 once bubbled...
I work for a city police dive team and would be very interested in taking a class on servicing poseidon regs, I currently service interspiro. My local dive shop just charge me 125 buck to service my first stage. Any ideas who or how I can get in this class?

Thanks again

Brent
A first stage..$125..!!... Did he kiss you after he finished? That is totally outrageous. For that you probably could have shipped it to an independent service facility.

I can get a dealer to teach me but for liability reasons with my employer then need me to get certified, and they are going to pay for it.

My local shop charged me 65 for a parts kit, and 60 something for servicing. I can buy the parts from a distributor so that is not an issue, just need the official certification.

We use the odin/jetstream combo.

If someone could email me the manuals that would be a start, I still want an official class though.

hunter991@msn.com

Thanks again.

Oh and as far as being able to ship it out to an independant service center for the price I paid, why bother with that, if I had known he was going to charge that much I would have just bought a new reg, they can be found for not much more that 100.

hunter991

I've just sent you the manual.
You'll get one when getting certified, but meanwhile you can take a look and get familiar with the parts and tools.

Take care

Sue

Only a Scubapro certified tech will touch my reg.

Also, on regular services, they are supposed to automatically do part upgrades if available.

Besides, I don't feel comfortable doing it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom