Do you think is safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems OK. Can't see a ladder to climb out of the "confined space".

Main thing you need is a floor so you don't descend too deep. Being a harbour, the maximum depth is unlikely to be too deep BUT the main thing is to keep inside of the pontoon.

Edit: ladder is in the second picture.

I think you will be just fine. For initial training, calm clear water is key. Ideally it would be warm as well. When my kids were certified they did their "pool" work in the ocean next to the dive boat pier

Yes, that’s fine. Several quarries in the US Midwest have the same sort of platform setup for the “confined water” work. Normally that would be done in a pool here, but since pools weren’t available during Covid, the training agencies allowed a very shallow platform instead.

In Asia many places just use shore dives and the ocean as your training area. After all it's called Open Water for that reason.

I never had any pool training sessions in my OW course.

Can't see a ladder
Second photo, in the back.

Like some others here, I never die pool training for my open water.
But honestly: it will depend on how you are in the water. I’ve seen people who really need a pool and who maybe should never come out that pool. But that’s only a small percentage.

Will you follow a standard training with an agency or a certified instructor? Have you had some kind of theoretical training before?

Main thing for the confined water training is it's brief and covers a bunch of things that it's way easier to bolt to the surface should someone panic.

It looks a LOT clearer than many other initial dive locations! Should see some of the crappy ponds and quarries around here where you can barely see your hand in front of your face.

This is PADI's definition of confined water and by the pictures looks like it meet's the standard if you are training through PADI. Other agencies are probably similar.

Attachments

• Confined Water.JPG
    Confined Water.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 57
Are you comfortable in the water? Can you swim well? Are you already comfortable snorkeling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom