Do you think is safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably actually safer! You will be training in an environment much more like you will experience for the OW dives, while meeting all the requirements for confined water dives.

n holiday, i want to visit a friend. He invited me to start scuba diving so we can dive together!
I am worried about the training...there isn't a pool, the first part of training is in the harbour on a platform! He send me some photos, i'll post them to ask y
The location seems safe. My #1 question would be the qualifications and experience of the instructor. Does your friend have a certification from a known dive agency to be a scuba-instructor?

I'm getting the impression that your friend is probably a trained/certified diver, but not a trained/certified instructor. If correct, that is dangerous:

• If you have difficulties, he may not have the appropriate training and experience to recognize those difficulties and perform a rescue.
  • While technically anyone can repeat what they learned in a class, that's like asking a college student to teach the college-course they just took.
  • It's really easy to miss an important step in scuba-instruction, or not emphasize it enough. For example, if you held your breath at 3 feet and surfaced, you'd have a lung-injury. Scuba-divers get used to always breathing by habit, but it's one of those little things you might easily forget if you're an armature trying to instruct.
  • There are many dangers in scuba, which are not intuitive or obvious. If he teaches you incorrectly or misses a step, you'll have no way of knowing.
  • SCUBA absolutely can be safe. Even "dangerous" dives can become safe with appropriate and applicable training.
Anyway, if your friend is a certified scuba instructor, he should absolutely be able to show you an applicable certification-card without taking offense. It's not that you don't trust your friend, but rather that this is life-and-death.

Back
Top Bottom