Do you use Sudafed....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using Aerius with no side effects.

i came down with a cold right before my week long trip in the bahamas
i was able to dive using Afrin 12-hour and Mucinex
the rebound from the Afrin sucked. your not supposed to use it for more than 3 days from what i understand.

of course results may vary, so if you do something like this its done at your own risk.

I had a bad experience with sudafed recently. I had a cold that ended 4 days before the dive and I thought I would play it safe. After taking the 12 hour dose an hour or so before hopping in the water, I experienced a reverse block on the way up. I tried to ascend at a snail's pace, and that helped a little but it still hurt like hell. For several days after the dive I had blood coming out of my nose from a torn mucous membrane. My ENT has ordered me not to dive for 3 weeks. In the future I will just wait another couple of days...

Benedryl is not akin to Sudafed. It's what the Claritin is replacing in Claritin D, not the D. That's why there are many alternatives now that feature non-drowsiness, like Claratin, Zyrtec, Allegra. Sudafed is pseudoephedrine, an active ingredient in methamphetamines. Sudafed PE is now available which uses a different active ingredient, but Claritin D still is pseudoephedrine.

This may clear it up:

Unlike antihistamines, which modify the systemic histamine-mediated allergic response, pseudoephedrine only relieves nasal congestion commonly associated with colds or allergies. The advantage of oral pseudoephedrine over topical nasal preparations, such as oxymetazoline, is that it does not cause rebound congestion (rhinitis medicamentosa); however, it is more likely to cause adverse effects including hypertension.

I don't, but I have never had a problem with clearing. If I'm stuffed up enough to need any drugs, I don't dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom