Do you wear your "rings" diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRook

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious. My fiance and I, having just completed our open water certifications (yeah to us) are preparing for our first "post-cert" dive, on our honeymoon in French Polynesia. My question is:

What do you all normally do about rings? My fiance's is very scared that she will lose her diamond ring while diving. I guess I am concerned as well, although my ring fits pretty snug. Do you normally take the rings off, or wear gloves??? I am not sure FP allows gloves, and we are not real comfortable leaving our rings in the small resorts. Any suggestions?

I dive with my ring on all the time but its just a band. If i had an engagment ring with a stone that sticks out a bit i would probably leave it at home in a fear of losing it or snagging it on gear while getting geared up.

Our jewelers warned my wife and I not to dive with our rings on, because the cold water shrinks your fingers, and the rings can easily fall off.

For anyone with cheap rings, it probably doesn't matter. For my wife's ring, it matters a whole lot however. We lock ours in the safe deposit box before we travel for scuba, and we lock them up in the desk at home before we scuba locally.

Hello and Welcome!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! I personally do not wear my rings, as I know that I would lose them. The only one I wear is on my middle finger, and would have to be surgically removed to come off. As for storage while you are diving; I have done a couple of things. First, check with hotel to see if they have in room safes, or if they have safety deposit boxes at the main desk. If that is not an option, I have placed my jewelry in the false bottom of my suitcase and locked it.

Hope this helps,

Pam

I wear my wedding band only (used to take it off but for soem reason, even though it's not super snug, it never budges). I do not wear my diamond because of the snagging, as mentioned, and because glittery things can atttract fishies with big teeth (which is OK sometimes but only when I want to!) And I know I would lose that one....

I almsot never bring my diamond when I travel for diving purposes but in your case, you would be so I would check into a hotel safe, as others have mentioned.

Robin

Congratulations!!

Where you're going, the hotel safe may be the way to go. However, I was warned before I went to Thailand not to leave my passport and credit card in the hotel safes, as they have been known to go on their own vacation...

And I once heard that most barracuda bites happen on fingers and ears (near jewelry), so I guess my suggestion is don't wear anything in the water that looks like a fishing lure (diamond included).

I don't like wearing rings under gloves because a lot of times I've had the ring come off with the glove, and I didn't notice. Haven't lost one yet, though. Neoprene gloves are pretty tight, and your hands shrivel up...

You might want to just get a shoestring and wear the rings around your neck, tucked into your wetsuit. Or something like that.

No, I don't. I did before, and could feel them sliding off inside my glove. It was the most annoying thing and I've never worn them since.

Juls

PS Congratulations!

ScubaRook mused:
What do you all normally do about rings? [snip] Do you normally take the rings off, or wear gloves??? [snip]
I don't wear my wedding ring, which is just a plain band, and the reason was alluded to already by 3dent . . .

About fifteen years ago I was snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez, around some sea lion rocks. Having a great time. I'd dive under and do a twist and roll, then half-a-dozen pups would dive down and do four times the maneuvers in half the time. I was gettting very relaxed when one of them swam right up to me and bit at my ring finger. Just enough to draw blood, not enough to require stitches.

Our naturalist (this wasn't a dive trip) opined that the glint of sun on gold might have attracted her. Since then I've not worn it when swimming or diving.

-Bryan

PS. Neat username, Scubarook!

I just recently stop wearing my diamond ring, even though for the last 75 dives nothings ever happened to me or it. I only stopped after the jewelry warned me if I was to hit it hard enough on something, the stone could fall out (6 prongs and all). I would suggest leaving it home, than you'll have no worries at all, just wear your bands.

Think of the number of rings found with metal detectors at the beach...

My wife and I absolutely do not wear our rings while diving - apart from the cost of replacement, they just have too much personal meaning to risk losing - a ring lost wile diving is pretty much irrecoverable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom