Do you wear your "rings" diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRook:
Just curious. My fiance and I, having just completed our open water certifications (yeah to us) are preparing for our first "post-cert" dive, on our honeymoon in French Polynesia. My question is:

What do you all normally do about rings? My fiance's is very scared that she will lose her diamond ring while diving. I guess I am concerned as well, although my ring fits pretty snug. Do you normally take the rings off, or wear gloves??? I am not sure FP allows gloves, and we are not real comfortable leaving our rings in the small resorts. Any suggestions?

All of my diving is cold water therefore my hands are covered. So there is very little concern about reflection of bright gold. However, I am concerned with losing the ring as well as potentially tearing a seal so I remove my wedding band and leave it at home when I dive.

You've been given some great input. What works for some diver's won't work for all, true, but FWIW my advice is to never dive with your rings on. I've lost a wedding ring diving, it certainly is possible. If your new wife wants her rings on her honeymoon, fine. Take the rings with you. Insure them. The policy is cheap. Leave them in the hotel safe. If they are stolen from the hotel safe, you can replace them. If you don't feel like taking that risk, then leave the rings at home. To take expensive jewelry out on a dive boat with you and plan to take it off and put it back on after diving, or "hide it", is simply asking for grief.

Glitter and teeth are enough to keep me from wearing rings. When we were in Tahiti I fished with small little gold flies. We caught all kinds of fish including 2 1/2 baracudas the sharks got 1/2 of the last one.

While spearfishing flashers are commonly used to attract predatory fish. I am ok with not being on the top of the foood chain but do not want to pick any fights.

No NEVER - I caught my finger in a boat ladder many year ago which resulted in 10 stiches at the time of the accident and over 60 stiches and a skin graft about 6 month later to at least get my finger some what straight - Today I have most of my rangle of movement - but cannot fully grip or extend - I have resticted blood flow thro it which hurts like a banshee when it`s cold and starts to warm up and it`s badly scarred .... BUT .... I still have my finger and unless it was pointed out to you - you wouldn`t notice the damage. Had I been wearing a ring on that finger ( which was / is my wedding ring finger ) It would have ended up having it amputated in a very dodgy Egyption port hospital - being stiched with no anesthetic was bad enough thx

Do not dive with rings

I normally take my wedding band off while diving. If you choose to wear your rings, invest in a pair of lightweight reef gloves. That way, you won't spend your whole dive worrying about your rings.

I wear the ones below and find them very comfortable. The ones with white palms make your hand signals more visible too.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...emIndex=28&CategoryID=984&Context=980&Filter=

rings = barracuda lures :wink:

Agree with other posters. Room safe or safety deposit box at desk.

The spousal unit and I are very hard on rings. She has a 3 stone set, but they're in a captive inset mount that has no fingers to catch and comes just above the level of the stones. Mine is a Ti ring with a gold inset. I wouldn't dive open water with either of them. In a pinch you could loop them on a neck chain that sat inside your suit.

Thanks for all the advice. We do have Chubb insurance on the ring, but for sentimental reasons, I would rather not have to replace the ring. I will have to talk to her about leaving it at home, or else we will find a place at the resorts to safely leave it.

Just lost my ring while swimming .. have not had a chance to look for it. I had taken it off and put it in that inside pocket of my trunks and then when I went to retreive it it was gone. It was just a wedding band, but it was one that was nicer then most. The wife now thinks we are not married. =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom