Documentary on solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool video 24940. It looks like most of my solo dives, except it's almost completely dark at depth where I dive. And the water's a lot warmer, 55 degrees F.

My point earlier was that most "team divers" can barely get through a dive without killing themselves. I say "team diver" in quotes because they certainly don't function as a team, they're more like "same ocean buddies." I certainly wouldn't want any of them as my buddy, that's why a lot of prefer to go solo a lot.

I would say that most solo divers I know are significantly more dialed in that most "team divers" that I've seen.

This controversy should be included in the documentary.

Cool video 24940. It looks like most of my solo dives, except it's almost completely dark at depth where I dive. And the water's a lot warmer, 55 degrees F.

My point earlier was that most "team divers" can barely get through a dive without killing themselves. I say "team diver" in quotes because they certainly don't function as a team, they're more like "same ocean buddies." I certainly wouldn't want any of them as my buddy, that's why a lot of prefer to go solo a lot.

I would say that most solo divers I know are significantly more dialed in that most "team divers" that I've seen.

This controversy should be included in the documentary.

If by "team" you mean 3 or more, then I agree with you. 3 or more together on a dive is a CF.

If by "team" you mean 2, then I disagree. Two is a buddy pair, the perfect combination.

A buddy pair of 2 solo divers is the ideal pair, since they are both completely reliable, and both fully buddy independent. It still helps however for them to have each other as a resource.

Robert Van Maier's book SOLO DIVING talks about the pro's and con's of diving alone. And he gives caveats as well. Anyone serious about solo diving should read his book.

...Not a very good book. And definitely not the way to learn solo diving.

I would be curious to know what you did not like about it.

I thought it was fantastic.

I liked the protocols and the caveats he gives.

I especially liked his emphasis on 2 of everything, which is the tech-deco/cave diver's fundamental protocol.

I also like the testimonials from others that he quotes.

What specifically did you not like?

Hi 24940

can you please clarify this point in bold, to me it reads that you only carry a pony if beyond 80 feet (which is 20 meters) or if you may go into deco

thanks

V

I am a solo diver. I do what I can to reduce risk, because I feel there are less options for resolving issues without a team. Free ascents are one of the tools I have and have performed free ascents (CESA) from depths as deep as 115'. I know I can get to the surface if I have to, but I also carry redundant gas if diving over 80' and tickling the NDLs.

Hi 24940

can you please clarify this point in bold, to me it reads that you only carry a pony if beyond 80 feet (which is 20 meters) or if you may go into deco

thanks

V

Heya venuss,

Yes, you read that exactly right. I wouldn't say that's the only time I carry redundant gas, but I don't typically carry RG on dives shallower than 80'.

Where did that *&^% buddy go to now, guess I'm solo diving.

Well... statements like this give me some concern. Statements like this may be part of the reason why main-stream divers think that solo divers are irresponsible. This reinforces the idea that solo divers will abandon their buddy at the drop of a hat and that solo divers are incapable of being good buddies.

I don't start a dive as part of a buddy team and end the dive as a solo diver, at least if I can help it. That's not acceptable. When I dive with a buddy, I'm a very good buddy. If you're my buddy and you 'go missing', I will come looking for you.

I can't speak for all solo divers, but I do have a GUE tech certification, which speaks to the fact that I know how to be a good buddy. Part of the reason that I didn't continue down the GUE path was that I was told that you can't be a true GUE diver and do solo dives. I disagree with that. It is possible to be a good buddy and a solo diver.

After all, which is better, to encourage someone to do a dive that they're not ready for so you can have a buddy, or just go by yourself? I think the more responsible thing to do is not to encourage others to dive beyond their limits.

A responsible solo diver plans the dive to be a solo dive. Diving solo should not be something that happens accidentally.

I think diving solo has made me more self reliant and a better diver. I'm a lot more alert and aware of my suroundings. I think, for some, a Buddy tends to be a crutch and gives you a false sence of security. I don't want to have to rely on someone elses skills or lack of skills to get me out of a situation or solve a problem.

I do enjoy diving with a buddy if we are on the same page. I use the same rig for solo as I do for Buddy dives. I guess I'm fortunate because the solo divers around here are pretty competent.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same skill set that would be ideal in any diver, but they are more critical for solo divers.

Problem solving
Dive planning
Stress tolerance
Solid CESA skills
Redundancy, when appropriate for the dive
Foresight

I know it's sort of covered above - but ACTUAL self-rescue skills (kind of falls under problem solving) are what I consider most important - so that when things do go sideways, there is appropriate response and confident action taken.

Solo diving, IMHO, is something to be taken on only after a ton of training and experience. My first solo (alone in the water with surface support) dives were in Maine during Scallop season - the guy I dove with and I would alternate as the diver and the boat driver. The one time I had things go bad during that time was a frozen octo and I simply had to abort the dive from the bottom (I was using a lift-bag and the water was right at freezing). Quick assessment of the issue, realizing I was NOT going to get the reg to stop flowing, and a calm ascent from 50ft allowed me to handle the situation appropriately - the only difference from a buddy dive was that I didn't have someone else watching me surface....

First off - I will be in Tampa starting next month for several months - I would love to talk about the documentary with you HoundDog.

Secondly - as a DM, I have zero issues with diving with a buddy. I always assess the potential buddy at the surface, by talking to them and finding out where they are at (how 'dialed-in' they are) and then observing them on the dive. If things go well, then it turns into a nice dive for me. If they don't do so well - then it turns into something more like work - but I love the sport and I want to help people become better divers. SO, you take what you can get sometimes.

As an occasional solo diver, I feel totally comfortable with my own skills and abilities - I ensure I am in the right frame of mind in case things go bad - and I do what I can to ensure that I come back to the surface - the ONLY difference between this and buddy diving - for me - is that when I buddy dive, I keep an eye on the buddy as well.....

for 24940:
How do you all feel about these statements:

A diver with 10 logged dives is fine to solo in 45 degree water and 6' vis..

A diver with 50 dives is fine to solo in 35 degree water, 3' vis at depths of 130' on an AL80, without redundant gas.

A diver should solo if they can't keep track of their buddy.

Divers in poor physical condition are fine to solo rough coastal waters of Oregon.

Diving is perfectly safe, requires no skill and absolutely anyone can do it safely.

Every diver I have seen has been perfectly safe.

I feel like all of these statements are kind of moot - I know it make emotions run high, but are we here to learn, or are we here to be snarky? Of course none of these 'theoretical divers' should solo - but some of them will - that is scary.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom