Does anyone dive with tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tusa or Tekna?

If you dive frequently and the same dive profile. After a few times you'll likely memorize your profile. And a dive table maybe sufficient; as quick reference and check. Computers are under the bases of dive tables.

A computer offers real time information on your profile and gives you immediate guidance. For one dive or multiple dives. with a 24 hour time period. And for a mixture of gases. Therefore! If your looking to purchase a watch look into dive computers. To act as a watch and PDC. there are many on the market. a good choice is Oceanic. A PDC is recommended if you dive multiple times per day 3-8 and use Enriched Air (Nitrox) gas. If your looking for info on any equipment dint hesitate to inquire with anything. Have fun and dive frequently......

An interesting sidelight to this discussion is that in the 1950s the Navy commissioned the construction of a pneumatic device that is now generally know as the "Foxborough Dive Computer." It was similar to the SOS/ScubaPro "bend-o-matic" device and failed badly when tested. Later analysis demonstrated that it had not been constructed properly and that the concept of half-time was not properly translated into diffusivity. Had materials of the correct diffusivity been used, the device would have functioned fine, the U.S. Navy Standard Air Tables would likely never have been developed and we'd all have been diving computers from day one.

I still see value in the dive tables. Many divers never read the compter manual and don't have a basic understanding of dive theory. By teaching tables they understand dive theory and can apply this into using a dive computer. Again I teach all three, as if you are on a dive vacation in a remote 3RD world country like the Philippines, and your battery dies in your dive computer then your dive vacation is not a bust you just move to your tables or ERDP for back up.

TableLKTourism.jpg

I drive a table. Was that the question?

DC

An interesting sidelight to this discussion is that in the 1950s the Navy commissioned the construction of a pneumatic device that is now generally know as the "Foxborough Dive Computer." It was similar to the SOS/ScubaPro "bend-o-matic" device and failed badly when tested. Later analysis demonstrated that it had not been constructed properly and that the concept of half-time was not properly translated into diffusivity. Had materials of the correct diffusivity been used, the device would have functioned fine, the U.S. Navy Standard Air Tables would likely never have been developed and we'd all have been diving computers from day one.

Thank goodness that happened. I have a reliable dive computer, but I see the dive tables as a backup in case of failure. If you have two dive computers, then I guess there's really no need for dive tables (but some people can't afford it). However, I feel that learning and knowing dive tables is a valuable task in knowing the reasoning/factors behind the numbers.

I always review the dive tables for my deepest planned depth, in case of any type of malfunction. Then I don't have to just stop diving for the day.

Back
Top Bottom