Does connecting computer to your PC "do" something for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Folks,

I'm looking to replace my 8 yr old Suunto and these days, just about every dive computer you look at has the capacity to be connected to your PC (assuming you pay the extra bucks for the connecting cord). I'm curious: For those of you who have gone this route - what has this "done" for you? In looking back at your dive profiles, have you learned something useful? My point is: is it worth forking out the extra bucks for this feature and will I use it and learn something?

Thanks!
Patricia

p.s. Of course, feel free to chip in and tell me what computer/set-up you use!:D

I have a Suunto Cobra, I used the function when I first got the computer, it was a novelty. I don't think I've downloaded anything in 5 years. If I kept a log book it would make a nice addition to each dive.

Gets at or calculates out additional dive info that is not available on the DC screens.

Some people use the downloads as their log books. Some look at their actual dive profiles and the computer calculated the SAC rates for them.

As for me, filling out the log book by hand is fine and my SAC rate is what it is. I dive with the same tank all the time. When that same tank lasts longer at the same depth, I know that my SAC rate is getting better. And it ain't that hard for me to calculate SAC rate by hand either.

Anyway, I personally don't have any use for downloading dive profiles but plenty of other people enjoy doing that. It's a nice feature to have. You can use it or not (like me).

Well, my dive log is now kept entirely on my computer. Depending on the logging software, you may gain the ability to search your dive log for specific locations, dates, or types of dive -- for example, if you want to remember what you did for your weighting when you last dove the Channel Islands, you can look that up without having to try to remember the dates of the trip, and flip through paper pages.

I also enjoy looking at profiles, to see if what I did during the dive matches up with my memory of what I did, and to see how accurately I hold stops. It's just kind of fun.

I really like downloading my dives, but I'm an information geek. I have a Dive Rite Plus and use ScuBase for my log book. Downloading is a bit cumbersome in that it's a 2 step process. I download, write out to a DAN file then read that with ScuBase.

For all that work, what I get is a dive log (on computer and printed) that can automatically calculate some statistics, associates and displays pictures with the dives they came from and has a bottom time graph that includes gas changes. Since I have different catagories set up for instruction, cave, wreck and OW I can sort and print out summaries of dive time/depth/type/location by whatever criteria. I can rapidly find my deepest (or deepest per year) or if I'm looking for a dive at a specific site, say, Dieploder, I can find that quickly.

Some years ago I had my house broken into and amongst other things they took my dive log. They must have thought it was CD wallet or something like that. Anyway, reproducing my dive log was easy because I had whole thing backed up electronically. I'm glad it was backed up, they took my computer too...

To me it's worth the time because it allows me to have a neat, printed and well organized log book instead of chicken scratches crossed out and written over. :) It also allows me to reorganize when I change my mind. Until recently, I kept my teaching dives in a seperate log/file because I didn't think they 'added to my experience'. But lately I've had a change of heart and want all dives listed squentially. Having all the info electronically will let me do that without having to work too hard...

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Last edited:
I got tired of buying the overpriced dive logs and trying to write the information in the tiny spaces, so I just download all my dives from my Nitek Plus.

Cave Bum - I am curious about the ScuBase software. I assume that you can convert older stored dives using the DiveRite software? Will it also convert manually entered dives? Thanks

As everyone else has stated I too use my downloads as an electronic logbook. I also use it as a learning tool. Being able to analyze my dive profile on the screen at any given moment in the dive has made me a safer diver. I was certified in 1972 and we were taught to come up slower than your smallest bubble. Never heard of a safety stop. Did deco using navy tables underwater. Had made hundreds of dives this way with no problems. I am nearing 60 now and do not want any issues with DCS so I bought a Oceanic "Brick", nice big characters for my old eyes. By reviewing my profile I noticed that it was always red in the last 30 or so feet of my ascents, so I slowed down my ascents. Did it that way for years but better safe than sorry. Also do safety stops, usually a deep stop and one at 15 feet. And my Dual Hose doesn't seem to mind.

Saves filling out a log book

This. Even moreso if you have a AI computer so you don't have to fill in before/after pressure readings.

You still have to fill in the name of the sites, however, or keep a little list handy for when you ultimately download, in case you can't remember the names of the sites the boat stopped at on Tuesday May 16 at 12:34pm, 3:35pm and 6:48pm. The computer can't fill that in for you! (Ditto with buddy info and whatever else you want to add in... such as the size of tank used if you want the software to be able to calculate SAC rates).

Back
Top Bottom