Does connecting computer to your PC "do" something for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Oceanic VT3 and love the download feature. I can take a look at my profile, put in notes for gear and weighting, etc. I can barely read my own handwriting and typing is way faster for me anyway. Especially when I'm on vacation doing multiple dives per day (coming in Aug!!) I expect downloading dives will save me a LOT of time over manually transcribing to a log book.

It's a big deal to some and to some it's not. I have two dive computers and both have the ability to download if you buy the cable/software. I haven't. For one of my computers it's another $100.

Once you do a few dives the profiles tend to be similar. Even if they are not you know in your head what they're like. If my dive computer is lost/broken/or floods I don't want to have another $100 in it just for the download cable/software. Others love this feature however. It's all up to you as to whether it's a big deal or not.

I have keep my log in Excel, independent of any proprietary dive computer software.

I do download the data and it gives me access to some details not available from the face of my dive computer, average depth (Atmos-2) comes to mind as one.

It's also interesting to review the profile. In many cases I can re-experience a dive by recognizing the depth changes as we followed the terrain or dwelt in a location.

Occasionally I will print a profile chart to retain or share. New divers or those without a puter enjoy seeing the graphic representation of the dive they made.

After getting the dive computer, all of the other dive gear and the home computer the cable is small money, if you have it to spare.

Pete

I have two downloadable computers (Tec 2G and Nitek Duo) and dive with both of them. I haven't downloaded the data in 6 months or so, but when I did it religiously it did give me information about the depths I stopped at to take video when I synched the dive profile to the sequences of video I shot. That was helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom