Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is having had my transmitter fail on a recent dive I was pleased to have back-up of my SPG, just gave me that sense of comfort as I completed the dive knowing what gas I had. Also heard that some computers don't or struggle to register gas information until in the water, I guess just an extra check that you have the gas you would expect before hitting the water from the boat.

All I can say is having had my transmitter fail on a recent dive I was pleased to have back-up of my SPG, just gave me that sense of comfort as I completed the dive knowing what gas I had. Also heard that some computers don't or struggle to register gas information until in the water, I guess just an extra check that you have the gas you would expect before hitting the water from the boat.
which dive computer?

Also heard that some computers don't or struggle to register gas information until in the water, I guess just an extra check that you have the gas you would expect before hitting the water from the boat.
That would certainly be a problem. Do you recall which brand(s) had that difficulty? I’ve never experienced that with my PPS transmitter with either my Oceanic computer, or my Shearwater.

I also seem to recall hearing of some quirkiness with the Suunto (I think) units where either the computer or transmitter would time out. However, I believe that was fixed, and I don’t believe submersion would have fixed it. I certainly wouldn’t be jumping in if I can’t read my gas supply.

@BurhanMuntasser your posts on this forum make it clear that you are the sort of person who thinks either people agree with you or they're wrong. I don't wear a snorkel either so that's strike #2 in your book. You must be one heck of an instructor with your "it's my way or the highway" perspective.

People have different diving styles. Is my style more risky or aggressive? Probably. Is it "wrong" because it isn't what most people do or isn't written in a manual somewhere or because it goes against your own personal beliefs?

None of the points discussed here I bring up are my "personal beliefs," they are the training agencies' instructions, dive computer manufacturers' and DAN recommendations in addition to other deco. and dive computer experts with FAR more knowledge and understanding of the details and the whole picture than you with your happy 200-499 dives. I am a diver who has decades of diving experience that chooses to do the best that I can to learn from the experts and relevant organizations that specialize in their respective fields. As an instructor, I do my best to follow my training agencies' rules (I am certified by several training agencies as instructor with some of them up to CD/Instructor Examiner) and to comply with their standards and recommendations including those that are related to deco. and dive computer use. This has NOTHING to do with "style" or with "personal beliefs," it is about science and current dive computer safety use recommendations and requirements.

If the "risky" or "aggressive" style in the use of dive computers go against ALL recommendations from ALL of relevant agencies and experts as well manufacturers (let's not forget about common sense) and the person advocating or recommending this "risky" style is neither an expert nor anywhere remotely qualified to make such statement, then, yes, it wrong "style" to recommend or to practice. We are not talking about different styles in wetsuit color or hairdo, we are talking about a serious matter that can cause serious injuries to the diver. When it comes to my spinal cord, I prefer to follow and advocate the recommendations of the subject matter experts not some anonymous entity on the internet with fewer than 500 dives experience and nothing else.

Just to be very clear and not leave anything for confusion, you are wrong!!

None of the points discussed here I bring up are my "personal beliefs," they are the training agencies' instructions, dive computer manufacturers' and DAN recommendations in addition to other deco. and dive computer experts with FAR more knowledge and understanding of the details and the whole picture than you with your happy 200-499 dives. I am a diver who has decades of diving experience that chooses to do the best that I can to learn from the experts and relevant organizations that specialize in their respective fields. As an instructor, I do my best to follow my training agencies' rules (I am certified by several training agencies as instructor with some of them up to CD/Instructor Examiner) and to comply with their standards and recommendations including those that are related to deco. and dive computer use. This has NOTHING to do with "style" or with "personal beliefs," it is about science and current dive computer safety use recommendations and requirements.

If the "risky" or "aggressive" style in the use of dive computers go against ALL recommendations from ALL of relevant agencies and experts as well manufacturers (let's not forget about common sense) and the person advocating or recommending this "risky" style is neither an expert nor anywhere remotely qualified to make such statement, then, yes, it wrong "style" to recommend or to practice. We are not talking about different styles in wetsuit color or hairdo, we are talking about a serious matter that can cause serious injuries to the diver. When it comes to my spinal cord, I prefer to follow and advocate the recommendations of the subject matter experts not some anonymous entity on the internet with fewer than 500 dives experience and nothing else.

Just to be very clear and not leave anything for confusion, you are wrong!!
and in all those words, you never actually articulated HOW or WHY it is dangerous....all you essentially did was spout off that you are an "instructor" and everyone else is too stupid so we should all listen to you.

please...again....explain in detail how anything i said is "wrong" "risky" or "dangerous".....and if you cant, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut.

So this thread has gone down the SB hole. Who cares? If you want to dive an SPG with AI, do so. If you don't, do so. There are pros and cons to every decision. I'm currently diving 2 AI computers off a single transmitter and have an SPG. I like my arrangement very much, I hope you like yours.

and in all those words, you never actually articulated HOW or WHY it is dangerous....all you essentially did was spout off that you are an "instructor" and everyone else is too stupid so we should all listen to you.

please...again....explain in detail how anything i said is "wrong" "risky" or "dangerous".....and if you cant, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut.

You really expect after all of your insults, abuse, ridicule, verbal attack, twisting my words and the ignorant statements you have made with your less than a year experience making recommendations on something that can have disastrous implications on the diver, I am going to have any interest to "explain in detail" anything to you?? I have less than zero interest in doing anything for you!! What I'd recommend to you to do is to go back to your entry level textbook and read the sections related to deco. and dive computer use and try to understand them. You should also consult with your instructor if he is available in addition to reading and understanding your dive computer's manual and reading the reference material at the DAN website.

Good luck to you and safe diving.

You really expect after all of your insults, abuse, ridicule, verbal attack, twisting my words and the ignorant statements you have made with your less than a year experience making recommendations on something that can have disastrous implications on the diver, I am going to have any interest to "explain in detail" anything to you?? I have less than zero interest in doing anything for you!! What I'd recommend to you to do is to go back to your entry level textbook and read the sections related to deco. and dive computer use and try to understand them. You should also consult with your instructor if he is available in addition to reading and understanding your dive computer's manual and reading the reference material at the DAN website.

Good luck to you and safe diving.
ok im going to take your refusal to answer a simple question as you being unable to answer the question.....you can go back to shutting up now.

and dont even get started on "insults, abuse, ridicule, ect ect." when you came out the gate claiming i was "ignorant" and "dangerous" and "uneducated" and "too new"...

you had no problem slandering me claiming i was "spouting BS and dangerous info".....all without offering any explanation as to why or how........but when you encountered pushback, you try to claim youre the victim of "abuse".......get lost.....get absolutely lost.

either substantiate your claims, which should be incredibly easy, seeing as you are a great master dive instructor with "many agencies"......or do us all a favor and just stop talking.

maybe you can get away with talking down to everyone back in Lybia.....but you sure as hell cant get away with it here.

master dive instructor

You have a problem with reading? I am not a "master dive instructor" and never claimed to be one.

maybe you can get away with talking down to everyone back in Lybia.....but you sure as hell cant get away with it here.

First, it is "Libya." Second, I have spent more time teaching and diving in the US for over 30 years than anywhere else in the world. I wouldn't take somebody like you spewing such wrong and potentially dangerous information in the US, Libya or anywhere else in the world.

either substantiate your claims, which should be incredibly easy
Are you actually a certified diver? If you are, as I have advised you earlier, go back and read your book and read your dive computer's manual carefully. This is the best advice I can give you. Whatever I tell you won't have value with you and you will only continue to attack with your insults. The sources for more knowledge are widely available on the internet with the DAN website the best first step after your textbook and computer manual. Don't take my word for it.

First, it is "Libya." Second, I have spent more time teaching and diving in the US for over 30 years than anywhere else in the world. I wouldn't take somebody like you spewing such wrong and potentially dangerous information in the US, Libya or anywhere else in the world.
and to date....you have still failed to explain in any sense how anything i said is "wrong" or "dangerous".....

are we all supposed to just take your word for it?

you cant just keep saying "youre wrong youre wrong hur dur hur dur reeeeee!" without explaining how and expect anyone to take you seriously.

frankly, given your arrogance and hubris youve displayed here, i wouldnt want to get in the water with you.

Back
Top Bottom