Does "Invade Cozumel" take over the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I've been looking at the week of June 9-16 for a week's trip to Coz, but just saw the Invade Cozumel dates overlap that week. Will it be insanely crowded? It looks like things are already booking up in the nicer places. Trying to avoid going later in the summer due to tropical weather. Any advice?

Additionallly, we are taking our 16-yr-old novice diver for his first real trip and I'm worried about the difficulties with current and not being able to find a dive OP that will be patient and take us on shallower dives. I'm 51 now instead of 30 so not as strong as I used to be when I dove frequently. Any advice appreciated.

Hi, I've been looking at the week of June 9-16 for a week's trip to Coz, but just saw the Invade Cozumel dates overlap that week. Will it be insanely crowded? It looks like things are already booking up in the nicer places. Trying to avoid going later in the summer due to tropical weather. Any advice?

Additionallly, we are taking our 16-yr-old novice diver for his first real trip and I'm worried about the difficulties with current and not being able to find a dive OP that will be patient and take us on shallower dives. I'm 51 now instead of 30 so not as strong as I used to be when I dove frequently. Any advice appreciated.

ScubaBoards Cozumel Invasion is June 30 - July 7 this year. Also members are all at Hotel Cozumel and using Dive Paradise as a dive op.
I think you are confused with last years dates.
You are welcome to join us, we have groups with all skill levels.

In it's heyday (10 years ago) Cozumel had 3,000 divers a day in Coz. I don't know what the numbers are now, but they are significantly reduced. Even with the influx of a couple hundred invaders from ScubaBoard, there will be plenty of room for you and the family on a dive boat somewhere.

Just don't trip over one of the thousands of overfed, newlywed, or nearly dead. (Pod people)

My advice is to book a suite at Aldora and get on your own boat with them. You can get a 2 BR reasonably priced, they are awesome, and the boat will take you where you want to go.

Second vote for Aldora. Haven't stayed there myself but have visited while doing a surface interval with them a few weeks ago. Very nice setup, great view, pool, and cylinders on site if you get the urge to hop in for a night dive right out front.

The Aldora DMs I've had over the last few months here on the island have been top notch. And they try very hard to put you with similarly skilled or like-minded divers, and they have a lot of boats to run so there is usually a group at your level.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rwn1dg

Just don't trip over one of the thousands of overfed, newlywed, or nearly dead. (Pod people)

I lol'd!

If anyone takes over the island, it's the POD people.......each ship can disgorge 3k-4.5k people....sometimes 3-4-5+ ships in during high season......now THAT'S an invasion......

:shocked2:

How many divers in your group? If 2 or 3, I doubt that you will charter a private boat - but it would be an extremely good idea to hire a private DM for the first 2 tank trip or two. With less than 24 dives yourself, this would be a good idea for you alone; with the teen, even better idea; and while you have more experience than he - don't push your limits, ok.

Make sure you are on a boat with other newbies, or at least other divers happy to do newbie sites at least for a couple days.

If you're trying to skip the 'invasion', avoid boarding any dive boat that looks like this:

Attachments

• HigginsBoat_big.jpg
    HigginsBoat_big.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 138

Not to worry; the Invasion is a small blip, relatively speaking, in the visitor population on Cozumel. It affects mostly one hotel (Hotel Cozumel) and one dive op (Dive Paradise), and there are plenty more of both. Lots of new divers go to Cozumel, so most dive ops are familiar with their situation and can deal with it. Whichever op you choose, let them know ahead of time that you have a novice with you. It may be advantageous to hire a private DM for the first few dives until he gets comfortable in the water, and most ops can help you with that as well.

Thank you for the input everyone. I did immediately zero in on Aldora, but the rooms we could afford are booked the week we are targeting. Can you dive with Aldora if you don't stay at their Villas?

Thank you for the input everyone. I did immediately zero in on Aldora, but the rooms we could afford are booked the week we are targeting. Can you dive with Aldora if you don't stay at their Villas?
Yes, you can. Aldora is a great dive op, though one of the most expensive.

Back
Top Bottom