Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mblackham

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
To all ScubaBoard Bloggers,

I had a very interesting conversation with my LDS this evening in SLC Utah about Leisure Pro. I told him I was thinking of buying some scuba equipment from Leisure Pro, and I must say, I was not expecting the reaction I received. To say the least, it was very negative toward LP. During all his ranting and raving, he said one thing that caught my attention and I wanted to glean from the infinite knowledge that can be found on these forums. He said "LP makes fake stuff" and they get it from the "grey market"! First off, is there any validity to the first comment? If so, how are they able to make fake life support equipment, such as: regulators and BCs? Second, (sorry, I am a little obtuse) what is the "grey market" and where does LP get their equipment from? The LDS said Scuba Pro and other larger scuba companies don't allow LP and other online shops to sell their products and do not support them in their selling of their "grey market" goods. Just some quandaries and questions I would love to have answered.

Thanks,

mblackham

I think they buy a lot of inventory when shops go out of business. I have never seen any "fake stuff" and they are authorized dealers for many brands. I like them, myself, especially for Scubapro and Sunnto. They have their own warranty which is easier to deal with than most of the manufacturers I have dealt with.

Grey market simply means that something is being sold via unauthorized distribution channel. The goods are most likely factory new originals, but since if the dealer is not an authorized dealer then the manufacturer may not honor warranty claims.

Sometimes the grey market equipment comes from overstocked authorized dealers. Sometimes the grey market equipment comes from a different region of the world where the prices are lower. Sometimes the "grey market" equipment is even secretly being supplied by the manufacturer --- it's a way for the mfg to have additional sales while attempting to keep from alienating their authorized distributors.

While the manufacturer can choose to not honor many types of warranty claims, in most cases they cannot escape the most basic "fit for intended purpose" sort of implied warranty. You will also find that manufacturers also honor recalls of defective equipment, no matter where you bought the gear.

In the specific case of Leisure Pro, they supposedly offer their own warranty that matches the terms of the original manfacturer. Luckily, the few items I have bought from Leisure Pro have functioned as expected and I've not had a need to personally check out their willingness to honor their warranty.

Charlie Allen

ah .... dive shop owners HATE LeisurePro because they can't compete with LP's prices

so take anything they say with a grain of salt

i've bought quite a few things form them (including regulators) and have never had any problems

1. no, they don't have "fake" stuff. if it says "Scubapro" it's a Scubapro

2. "gray market" means they dont' have manufacturer's warranties. but LeisurePro still gives you a warranty on the equipment, whatever it is

No fake stuff - your LDS knows it.

Just a piece of advice: don't tell your girlfriend that you want to go out with another woman...

I bought a few things from them a while back, including an Aeris Octo that began free-flowing as soon as I pressurized my reg. I called them right away and they sent a replacement Octo overnight. Can't complain about that.

However, I do believe in supporting my LDS and do so whenever feasible.

Mountain Dog

daniel f aleman:

Just a piece of advice: don't tell your girlfriend that you want to go out with another woman...

LOL! Yep, that one's a big mistake.

theskull

daniel f aleman:

Yes, but it may not hurt to tell her what that other women is willing to do for you.

That metaphor works? Right?

Racket:
Yes, but it may not hurt to tell her what that other women is willing to do for you.

That metaphor works? Right?

oh for God's sake NO!!!

:wink:

works with an LDS, but don't try it with a woman ... you'll live to regret it

:no

or ... maybe you won't live at all

listen, don't EVER mention another woman to your girl ... unless it's to say how crappy that girl was and how GREAT your girl is ... and even then ... oh boy .... you're venturing into dangerous territory

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom