Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anybody buy SP from LP then have an authorized dealer inspect it? I'm thinking about doing that, but at the same time, buying a wetsuit outfit from LDS. Think that would off-set the animosity of not buying from them?

anybody buy SP from LP then have an authorized dealer inspect it? I'm thinking about doing that, but at the same time, buying a wetsuit outfit from LDS. Think that would off-set the animosity of not buying from them?

No. Anything less than 100% loyalty and you are pond scum.

I'm an avid mountain bike racer and the issues are similar. However LBS KNOW you will buy online because components are crazy cheaper than in stores. I bought all my components on line then had my LBS build the bike for me. No issues or animosity. Seems there's a little more rift between scuba divers who can't afford or don't want to pay MSRP and LDS that want you to pay MSRP.

I work VERY closely with MANY business owners in very diverse industries. One thing they all have in common: They trim that fat from EVERY expense. Sometimes this means going to china, thus displacing domestic jobs. To expect a conscious consumer to do anything different is hypocritical.

With that said, there are reasons to buy from an LDS, and those reasons are different for everyone. I am in the process of putting together my first scuba package. All my LDS mentioned a package discount, however scuba.com and LP have offered the same. I don't know much about regulators or BC's, thus I come here for unbiased feedback on equipment. However, there is an intangible benefit to the knowlege my LDS has when it comes to diving in my area (West Michigan). Is it worth a couple $100 more to use that knowledge to put together a package at the LDS?

Example, I was looking at Oceanic Islander. When I walked in LDS he mentioned that is a great BC, just not idea for diving in Michigan. I may want to get something that is more versitle for the conditions of cold and warm water. He pointed me to the Oceanic Excursion or ScubaPro Knighthawk. Samething with regulators, the ones I looked at he thought were great, but again, may need one more versitle. Oceanic Delta 4 or ScubaPro Mk17S600.

When I walked into each LDS, they first thing they asked me was "what kind of diving do you want to do?"

As of now, the price difference between my LDS and LP is about $350 on mainly ScubaPro stuff. I have a hard time believing LP sells fake stuff, since this is life support systems. I just wonder is $350 is worth the advice and knowledge I will get from a LDS owner.

My girl said to me: If your at 130 feet and your system fails, are you going to be happy you saved $350?

As of now, the price difference between my LDS and LP is about $350 on mainly ScubaPro stuff. I have a hard time believing LP sells fake stuff, since this is life support systems. I just wonder is $350 is worth the advice and knowledge I will get from a LDS owner.

My girl said to me: If your at 130 feet and your system fails, are you going to be happy you saved $350?

The last statement presupposes that your saving $350 had any bearing on the equipment failure. A regulator is what it is, and the number on the price tag doesn't change that.

As for the advice and knowledge, that depends on whether the same info is available outside the LDS. Do you have an active local dive club? Are there experienced divers from your area available to you, in person or online in places like Scubaboard? I have found these to be the most accurate and extensive sources of information.

Try this Scubaboard sub-forum.

That $350 will buy you a complete pony setup so that failure at 130 ft should just be a disappointment at losing a dive rather than a dangerous incident.

If your LDSs can't do better than an uncompensated $350 difference, call Scubatoys or Divesports. Good advise is free and if you can find a better price, they will match it. Their reputations seem to be better than Leisurepro and Scuba.com.

That $350 will buy you a complete pony setup so that failure at 130 ft should just be a disappointment at losing a dive rather than a dangerous incident.

If your LDSs can't do better than an uncompensated $350 difference, call Scubatoys or Divesports. Good advise is free and if you can find a better price, they will match it. Their reputations seem to be better than Leisurepro and Scuba.com.
Now that's some good advice.

Back
Top Bottom