Does nitrogen narcosis mimic alcohol use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My "most narced" experience kind of went like...
to around 180' = martini's law - general mental impairment.
around 200' = euphoria & hallucinations - loss of reason and self restraint.
around 230' - down = darker views, loss of color, numbed paranoia, tunnel vision, mission obsession, total & near disasterous disregard of lifesupport issues like air.
I was very fortuate to have a second chance. Later air dives to similar depths did not produce these extremes. Mental functions were impaired, but not as dangerously.

If the effects of Narcosis were more like Alcohol, I wouldn't have panic narcs :)

Walter:
There are superficial similarities. While there are additional problems, I usually think of narcosis as lowering one's IQ. The deeper you go, the stupider you are.

This explains a some of the posts I read on this board - some people are clearly posting from below 30msw....:)
I wonder what equipment they use, and how they keep it dry and connected to the internet?

Cheekymonkey:
250 on air rick?

Not for me. 160fsw to the deck of the San Francisco Maru in Truk is my max on air. What I posted was a quote from the URL that I included in my earlier post.

the guy who can drink six without batting an eye can function-maybe-at 250
UNQUOTE

Not my words. The words of the person who wrote that article.

Rickg

rookers:
I would disagree, I have been extremely drunk and severely narc'd and they are different beasts. I would also point out that I have extensive experience with other intoxicants long ago, so perhaps having a broader experiential range allows me to comment a bit more. Personally I find narcosis at shallower depths 110->150ft to be a bit like a cross between nitrious oxide and any number of opiate derivatives. At deeper depths (150-180ft) it becomes more like a cross between nitrious oxide and maybe methaqualone, though without some of the more severe effects of either. I have very limited experience at the deeper depths (150-180) and don't intend to have further experience on air, so my observations are suspect (as are all narc'd observations).

If one has only alcohol to compare it with, I could see someone saying 'yep, just like alcohol'. I would suggest that others carry on further experimentation.

yeah, going through about 70-80 fsw on air is more like coming up on a psychedelic than having a drink or two. the first effect is that your short term memory drops out, then you start thinking strange thoughts (either the giggly narcosis kind or the cold dark paranoid narc kind). this is a common experience of 'coming up' on a psychedelic when the first effects start to be felt. if it was like alcohol you'd get that fuzzy head feeling first along with losing inhibitions and coordination and getting the anxiolytic effect of ethanol. its not the same thing. at greater depths the similarities in gross impairment of motor function and IQ probably make it seem more like alcohol, but the mental effects are still more like N2O.

not that i have any idea of what i'm talking about from personal experience though...

lamont:
yeah, going through about 70-80 fsw on air is more like coming up on a psychedelic than having a drink or two. the first effect is that your short term memory drops out, then you start thinking strange thoughts (either the giggly narcosis kind or the cold dark paranoid narc kind). this is a common experience of 'coming up' on a psychedelic when the first effects start to be felt. if it was like alcohol you'd get that fuzzy head feeling first along with losing inhibitions and coordination and getting the anxiolytic effect of ethanol. its not the same thing. at greater depths the similarities in gross impairment of motor function and IQ probably make it seem more like alcohol, but the mental effects are still more like N2O.

not that i have any idea of what i'm talking about from personal experience though...

The tip off at 200 was when my watch bezel started spinning an throwing sparks off. The good news was that the fish still liked me...of course I felt he same about them. And I knew I had nothing to worry about.

....if it was like alcohol you'd get that fuzzy head feeling first along with losing inhibitions....
That's what I get, if anything. It'll vary between divers, and between dives with the same diver - but I really don't feel much. The fact that I don't worries me some, so I remind myself to work on being careful - which is not at all my style.

I wonder if my low threashold for fear gives me a lower feeling about getting narced?

MarkMarshall:
The tip off at 200 was when my watch bezel started spinning an throwing sparks off. The good news was that the fish still liked me...of course I felt he same about them. And I knew I had nothing to worry about.
:lol:​
I remember this one lady who was Aow, but had never been to 100 ft before. She said the fish were singing. :lol2:

Be advised: If the fish talk to you, presume they're lying. :wink:

My one experience was while diving an old submerged dam (see here), my buddy and I were down at our max. depth and exploring the concave archs (see 1st pic in link) as we came out of one it went a little something like this

Right Brain: Duuuude this DAM is making a left hand turn, weird, I didn't know it turned. Do Dams make turns?? huh okay, let's see where this leads...Where the heck am I exactly (At this time it seemed I was in a little concrete cubicle after I made "the turn")
Left Brain: Hey dummy snap out of it, Dams don't turn abruptly 90 degrees!

Ascended about 15' and was fine, clear headed, bearing regained. I've probably been narced before but far less noticeably. This was and is still is my deepest dive (107'ffw, theoritical depth 115'). I've been to 100' fsw a few times and not had these effects. But I certainly will be more aware of NN in the future, it was a good learning experience.

-Garrett

:lol:​
I remember this one lady who was Aow, but had never been to 100 ft before. She said the fish were singing. :lol2:

Be advised: If the fish talk to you, presume they're lying. :wink:[/QUOTE]

:rofl3:

Ha Ha, they were lying alright - they told me I didn't have to worry about air. Sure, that was fine for them to say! :dunce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom