Does nitrogen narcosis mimic alcohol use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know i've ever had these major issues, in the 115-125fsw range for me I just find that I breathe slightly heaveier, no really bad decision making except for the fact that I know I am slightly impaired and check the gauges even more often than normal.

In my experiences down to 200' or so, I know that I'm impaired, sort of getting tunnel vision and have to concentrate more on what I'm doing but I don't feel like I'm drunk and my photos are not out of whack as far as settings. It can be different on different days, I've called a couple of deep dives when I've gotten dizzy around 140' and gone up shallower to finish the dive. The proper mix makes a HUGE difference.

A little confused dennis, what kind of mixes are you talking about for those depths?

I'm not Trimix certified but one of the reasons I took Advanced Nitro and Deco a couple of months ago was a direct result of a dive buddy giving me a few breaths from his tank which was Trimix I believe, not sure what mix, at around 180'. It was amazing how my world opened up and I realized how impaired I was on air, which was his point. I plan on taking Extended Range and Trimix in February.

Ah ok thats what I was asking about really, wanted to see if you had started taking trimix courses yet, when you take it though I'd love to chat iwth you about how the class is run, I'm interested in it myself. Thanks

DandyDon:
I take it that you've always been a light drinker...??

Don,

Yes, I am a light drinker and have not been truly drunk in a long, long time. However, I remember discovering Micanopy, FL one night with a buddy and a bottle of Wild Turkey in a MG B model. I got thrown out of a strip club that night. I wound up praying to the porcelain gods that night as well. And yes, I was a college student at The University of Florida in the mid 70's. A party town if there ever was one.

I still have never halucinated while drunk.

Halucinating while drunk? I can be a bit of a partier when I don't have commitments to keep regarding diving or driving or anything else of the sort. But I have never had a hallucination while drinking, nor heard of that to be honest.

Cheekymonkey:
Halucinating while drunk? I can be a bit of a partier when I don't have commitments to keep regarding diving or driving or anything else of the sort. But I have never had a hallucination while drinking, nor heard of that to be honest.

different people have different neurochemistries. IIRC from high school english class, edgar allen poe had issues with alcohol causing hallucinations...

lamont:
different people have different neurochemistries. IIRC from high school english class, edgar allen poe had issues with alcohol causing hallucinations...
I never qualified for AA, but went to a lot of meetings as a guest, even in prison. I have heard of some hallucinations, but I think they were associated with brain injury of alcoholism.

I thot Poe's came from Opium & Absinthe - certainly not the same as ethanol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom