Does PADI care?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me say this, I have been to Rainbow River, I have done the drift dive, I have ridden on the pontoon boat for the dive. First I do not think (I could be wrong) that the dive boat is owned or operated by anyone at the part or has anything to do with PADI or any other agency for that matter, I believe he is an independent operator. Second, Rainbow River is very tight quarters for operating a boat with divers in the water and there is no way one can avoid coming within the legal safe distance from a dive flag. That being said I am not defending the boat operator, I was not there and did not see what happened, but I believe they (the operation/park rangers/signs) tell you up front that the dive boat operates in the River channel and to be aware of where you are at all times.....

Whether they care or not probably depends on whether they think this boat captain's actions reflect poorly upon PADI, or whether it causes a decline in certifications (revenue) from the shop.

My suspicion is no.

I used to live in Dunnellon for about 15 years. The law enforcment agency that has jurestiction is kind of split. You can contact the Marion County Sheriff's Dept., Dunnellon PD or even the local Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission office. However, nine times out of 10 I saw the game warden more than the Sheriff. And it's the thing up here in Tallahassee.

However, I would go to the shop in question on the same day the event happens and voice your opinion. Or even call them and talk to them and be as specific as possible with date and time and if possible the location on the river where it happend.

First option should always be to try to resolve it with the business owner ... only escalate if it becomes apparent he doesn't show any interest in resolving the problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Florida Dive Regulations

Diver Down Flag - State law requires that scuba divers or snorkelers display a flag whenever they are in the water.

The "diver down" flag is a square or rectangular red flag (if on boats, at least 20 inches by 24 inches; at least 12 inches by 12 inches on towed buoys) with a white diagonal stripe and with wire or other stiffener to hold it unfurled and extended.

Boaters must make reasonable efforts to stay 300 feet away from dive flags in open water; 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels.

Boaters approaching diver down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow their vessels to the minimum speed required to maintain forward motion and steering.

Anyone ever heard of a Crystal River Special? Many of the Captains in that area have only this. Not a wonder they don't know who has the right of way. That area always seemed like an accident waiting to happen, especially on the weekends. In the colder months, the shops just seem to need a warm body to drive, not any kind of skill.

First I do not think (I could be wrong) that the dive boat is owned or operated by anyone at the part or has anything to do with PADI or any other agency for that matter, I believe he is an independent operator.

I know there are independent operators on the river, but in this case I know it was Shop X because Shop X had its name all over the side of the pontoon. I'm thinking of drafting a letter to Shop X's owner/manager expressing my concerns, along with a copy of my next letter to be mailed to PADI, Wildlife Dept, and anybody else I can think of that might find it interesting, if nothing is done. Sadly, the grapevine says this particular shop congratulates it employees for being butt holes when people complain.

So why are you using "shop x"? Just say who they are. My guess is alot of people already know them and you may find more information as to their business practices and some other stuff they do as well that may be questionable. I bet I know who it is but I'll wait for you to post or PM before I'll ID em.

No, they don't care.

But, PadI is not in charge of the waterways and navigation/enforcement thereof either.

I am familiar with exactly who you are talking about and I have been exactly there and I know that those guys are purposely being horses rears and you can bet that the guy your with does the same thing --betcha-- when it is his turn. First, the river is not wide enough to steer clear of divers by the typical 100 to 300 feet. They are instead supposed to move ahead prudently. Your being aware they are there also requires you by the "law of self preservation" to participate in the equation by also steering clear of the jackarses in the pontoon.

The thing that makes me really angry about all of this is that these people would rather hit you and kill you, your child, your buddy than give a inch for a human life and now you know why they run down manatees, Flipper, divers and whoever is so unlucky to get in their way. I predict one of these days a Glock swinging diver in Florida which has stange "castle laws" will decide they are being threatened and open up and then of course probably recieve return fire. It is a real shame that people do not know the value of life or even how to behave anymore.

My advice, be nice, stay low, stay out of the way, don't get in any shouting matches/confrontations with low life types and just do your best to have fun in your own little world--that is what I do--I bring my own little world with me and ignore the "bad" people, including at least a few on this board. Yep, I yield for jackarses. It is the only thing we can do, not just in diving but in life, it is the way things are. BUT, like my grandmama always said, when evil comes looking, the good will be allowed a reckoning.

N

I know there are independent operators on the river, but in this case I know it was Shop X because Shop X had its name all over the side of the pontoon. I'm thinking of drafting a letter to Shop X's owner/manager expressing my concerns, along with a copy of my next letter to be mailed to PADI, Wildlife Dept, and anybody else I can think of that might find it interesting, if nothing is done. Sadly, the grapevine says this particular shop congratulates it employees for being butt holes when people complain.

Are you 100% positive that a shop employee was driving the boat and that it was not a rental boat?

I'd talk to the owner of the shop, then FL Fish and Wildlife. This isn't a PADI issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom