Does your BC slide-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a home made mod ... at the moment it is a temporary measure to make sure it worked before it becomes permanent.

Just need some 1" webbing and a couple of tri glides ... very simple

OK, hopefully the OP can maybe get some help at the local dive ship getting that modification installed. I'm in the middle of doing such an upgrade on my 'old' Zeagle Ranger, I'm swapping out the factory saddle-strap crotch Zeagle supplies as an option on that BC and installing a 'real' crotch strap, using 1 1/2" webbing from Deepoutdoors, the strap is due in this week, then I'll have a local shop repair shop do some sewing for me.

I believe the SP Ladyhawk is WI, right? I've seen divers complain about the BC riding up when they are wearing a weight belt. The belt pulls them down and the BC goes up.

Are you wearing ankle weights or anything like that?

In fitting back backs, we'd see this all the time. People have a tendency to tighten up their pack too tight. They would want more weight on their hips so they would tighten their hip belt, causing the pack to ride up on the soft waist. Loosening the hip belt would allow the pack to rest on their hips.

Tightening all your straps may be causing the opposite of what you want. You're physically making the BC smaller.

Chris may be on the right track here with the weight comment..If the bcd is the correct size it may be that you probably are wearing more lead weight than what you truly need...If you wear too much lead,when on the surface you will have a tendency to add alot of air to the bcd to ride higher out of the water,so now the bcd can ride up easily and be uncomfortable..How much lead are you wearing and what is your physical size? what wetsuit are you using? is this fresh water /salt?
For people with that feel uncomfortable with rear bladder bcd's because they ride too low on the surface I have to suggest a jacket type bcd.Less likely to ride up because bladder is under your arms and not on your back.

Last edited:
OK, hopefully the OP can maybe get some help at the local dive ship getting that modification installed. I'm in the middle of doing such an upgrade on my 'old' Zeagle Ranger, I'm swapping out the factory saddle-strap crotch Zeagle supplies as an option on that BC and installing a 'real' crotch strap, using 1 1/2" webbing from Deepoutdoors, the strap is due in this week, then I'll have a local shop repair shop do some sewing for me.

What made you select 1 1/2" webbing to do the mod? 1" is common, but 2" is standard. Why 1 1/2"?

Make sure that the crotch strap is made of really soft webbing - standard webbing (stiffened by resin) will rub the insides of your thighs and wear out your wet/dry suit.

Halcyon makes a super-soft 2" strap that rocks. I understand that DiveGearExpress.com does, too, but I haven't used one of theirs personally.

Chris may be on the right track here with the weight comment..If the bcd is the correct size it may be that you probably are wearing more lead weight than what you truly need...If you wear too much lead,when on the surface you will have a tendency to add alot of air to the bcd to ride higher out of the water,so now the bcd can ride up easily and be uncomfortable..How much lead are you wearing and what is your physical size? what wetsuit are you using? is this fresh water /salt?
For people with that feel uncomfortable with rear bladder bcd's because they ride too low on the surface I have to suggest a jacket type bcd.Less likely to ride up because bladder is under your arms and not on your back.

I don't think this can be an explanation because the BC is wt integrated, so adding more air will be offset by the extra weight in the BC.

I think she has the mirror image what some male divers have, which is no waist or negative waist and belt slipping down requiring suspenders. The mirror image of that is the woman who needs a crotch strap to keep the BC from riding up.

Adam

I have a Ladyhawk and have no problems with this. Either you've got the wrong size or it's just the wrong BC for you = often no size of a particular BC will be right for someone. Try the crotch strap, but figure at some point you're going to bite the bullet and get something that fits you right, whatever it is.

I also have this BC and it actually fits better than my ancient Dacor Extreme. My Dacor always rode up and drove me nuts as I was always pulling it down. Wasn't an over weight issue as in warm water even with ten pounds it rode up.

With the Ladyhawk, I am really happy that it stays in place and is comfy. I think maybe the clip at the top helps? I'm short and "full" so to speak. The cummerbund fits around the waist area.

I hope you find a solution as I know how frustrating it can be to continually be tugging it down while diving....

I think the industry as a whole has come a long way in the last ten years in accommodating the female figure when it comes to dive gear. I do however, think they have a ways to go as size and shapes vary so much...I'm just sayin'

I don't think this can be an explanation because the BC is wt integrated, so adding more air will be offset by the extra weight in the BC.

I think she has the mirror image what some male divers have, which is no waist or negative waist and belt slipping down requiring suspenders. The mirror image of that is the woman who needs a crotch strap to keep the BC from riding up.

Adam
Extra weight in the bcd integrated pockets will not solve the problem of it riding up.Too much weight is too much weight.Having to put much more than a puff of air (figure on 2 breaths orally put into the bcd) into the bcd in order to stay comfortable on the surface is too much.
yes it can be an explanation..she has not answered with how thick a wetsuit she has and other info.She has written in a previous post about having 12lbs of weight in the rear pockets alone,so that right there tells me she most likely is overweighed as the majority of the weight goes in the ditchable pockets,not the rear.
If she is in a 3mm - 5mm suit she may need anywhere from no lead to ?? cannot know until she post what she is wearing and what size she is.
I have no waist and use different rear inflation bc's of different manufacturers and if you use too much weight the thing can ride up....I have experience with over 1,000 students I have certified,plus all the others that I had other instructors complete the training dives for and have seen this issue over and over again and have corrected it with the ones that learn to listen and apply what they have been told.

What made you select 1 1/2" webbing to do the mod? 1" is common, but 2" is standard. Why 1 1/2"?

Make sure that the crotch strap is made of really soft webbing - standard webbing (stiffened by resin) will rub the insides of your thighs and wear out your wet/dry suit.

Halcyon makes a super-soft 2" strap that rocks. I understand that DiveGearExpress.com does, too, but I haven't used one of theirs personally.

well, I know 1 1/2" is non-standard, but my both my Deepoutdoors harnesses and my old Zeagle Ranger just happen to use that width, due to the hardware they were designed/equipped with, so it's not worth the effort to switch them to a 'standard' width. I avoid wetsuit 'wear' by sliding a length of bycycle tire inner tube over the strap, which works just fine. :)

Hi All,

To get back on a couple of questions - I carry 12 -14 lbs of weight Total. I usually put 4s in the top w/ 2 or 3's in the bottom - removable pockets. I either wear a dive skin or a 3mm Henderson hyperstreach, that's why the variation in weight. I am properly weighted as if I go lighter I wind-up head down - gently finning to stay down during my safety stop and I usually have 800 psi left in my tank. I've had a couple of very experience DM's on a couple of my trips help me out on total weight and distribution.

In short the problem is the cumberbun rides below my waist - I have an hour glass shape w/ small waist - a fair amount of extra on top and I'm short 5 ft 3 and short waisted - did I say I was short???? Anyway - when I dive - I don't notice it moving around lots - or maybe I'm just distracted with all the cool critters - when I really notice it is at the surface - I am really really low in the water. I've tried various amounts of air in BC - if I put in to much air in I'm face first in the water.

I bought my gear at my LDS when I was getting certified - so they did the fitting for me as (to be honest) I had absolutely no clue about the gear. As I have continued to dive I have dropped weight to my current configuration which is in line with salt water and my weight.

Anyway - I have ordered up a 2 inch crotch strap - should be getting it this week - and once I figure out how to attach it - I should be good to go. I will try it out in the pool (live in MN) to see how it works - I'm sure eventually I will try to find a different style that will fit my shape better. It's just really hard as most LDS don't carry lots of brands/styles (usually 1 or maybe 2 brands - here anyway) and just because the BC fits well above the surface doesn't mean your going to like diving at depth with it.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips,
Audrey

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for reporting back. It's always nice to get an update.

It sounds like you have the exact same problem as me, so I can totally relate. I went to Diver's Direct and tried on six different women's jacket BC's in row - all different brands. I'm not "small" but even the size Smalls did what you are describing, because although I'm 5'5", I'm short-waisted, and I have the small-waist/hippy hips figure too, so.... up she rode until I had the shoulders around my ears. It's hard to defy the waist!

You may be able to work with your current BC if you can convince the cummerbund to ride below your waist with a crotch strap. And maybe you could find a different jacket BC that would fit (I tried on a lot of them, but not every one in existence).

On the other hand, I can say from experience that a backplate and wing setup will be able to fit you just right. The plates come in small, medium, and large (or variations thereupon, depending on the mfgr), so you can get one where the waist can be around your waist, and the shoulders can be in the right place on your shoulders. Also, with the waist strap being so much less "tall," from top to bottom (it's a 2" strap not a ~5" cummerbund) the bottom of the strap can be at your waist without forcing the whole works up so high.

I realize I said all this above, but now that we have heard back from you (and knowing the frustration I went through trying to get a BC to fit), I wanted to reply once more.

I can't say for sure that you won't find a BC to fit, or that you will like a backplate/wing; but I can say that it is very, very likely that you will find a backplate/wing that fits you properly.

B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom