• I don't know

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • They still call it Devil gas !

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I do it in my garage

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by dkigreg
I got confused, I thought this thread was on Nitrox availability. I of course understand that tri-mix is beyond the scope of the question.

Assuming you did want just garden verity Nitrox, what is your LDS charging?

It was. Just added my .02 to the discussion.

I think Nitrox is $10 or $15 for an AL80. Not bad for the occasional diver, but prohibitive for me.

My dive club just bought a membrane system for fills up to 40%. The club members pay $1.00 per fill Woohoo!! Air fills are free.

I just completed my nitrox class and made dives this weekend on nitrox.

Let me add this caveat. Don't even think of attempting this at home without proper training. O2 is not something to screw around with if you're not well trained. It's just not worth it.

Dive safe. Blend safe.

Thanks for adding your caveat and the fact that you have made your shop aware that you have O2 in the tank and that handling pure O2 incorrectly is VERY dangerous.

You obviously understand the concerns about safety and giving the wrong impression to people. With many new divers on this board they need to hear all the facts, especially since they are still forming opinions and don't yet have the experiance of the other members.

Generally most shops don't charge that much for nitrox and have gone to a bit of trouble to provide it for their customers. Many are also using per volume formulas for fills which is very fair.

The shop I frequent charges approx. $12 Canadian (about $8 US) for 80 cu ft of 32 mix which is about average for our area and generally considered a reasonable price.

Thanks for following up. :)

Most places around here carry Nitrox. Either premixed 32 and 36 or you can just ask for what you need.

Never had a problem getting nitrox here, other than related to the different policies of the different agencies (what a drag).

Ari :)

Originally posted by traveltina
We did our Nitrox certification with a LDS, we were told we were scheduling a dive to use Nitrox with them, but when we showed up that day, we were given air tanks, and told to pretend it was Nitrox!
Did You pretend to pay them?

Great reply divedude.:wink:

If they did conveniently then I would never have saved a bundle pumping my own.

The nearest nitrox was either 45 minutes (and wait a day to get it back) or 30 minutes (and wait a week to get it back.)

It was just to much hassle to drive so far twice to get a fill... once to leave the tank and then another to pick it up.

Now I go out to the garage and run the pump for a couple of hours and I have a weeks worth of EAN32 on tap in the bank.

They have pre-blend and will do PP fills. They recently installed helium tanks but I haven't got the whole scoop yet, I am assuming they are going to make tri-mix available. A eanx32 100 cu3 tank fill is either 10.00 or 12.00 dollars.

woof

nope no nitrox YET ,
tomorrow we are getting an upgrade to our old compressor and cascades from 2500 psi to 4500 psi cascades and more and better filters , it will be allot better than what we got at the LDS now quieter anyway hehehe . but at least our air is good .
4 $ a fill for air for a club member and 5 for the regular joe

Wow I am suprised that you didn't dive nitrox when you got that certification. My wife and I got SDI nitrox certified last year through our LDS. The instructor(owner) required 2 nitrox dives and we watched as the tanks were filled. Calibrated, tested, initialed, and wrote down the mod ourselves, required at the LDS.

If it is not required by SDI I am sure glad my LDS has its own minimum standards when teaching courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom