Does your team have a card to get you out of work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
one of the team members has a card saying "disaster team member" that says he can get off of work without getting fired. very few of the team members work for PD, Fire, EMS, but have normal jobs. everyone started saying that this was a great idea, until the chief brought up a good point.

he doesnt want anyone on the team to have a card saying "go F... yourself to the boss" anytime we want some time off.

do you guys have something like this?

All of our volunteers have a paragraph on the back of their identification cards which says something similar to "This person is a disaster worker and is authorized admittance to a disaster area". I don't think it'll get them out of work unless something big happens.

Here in Connecticut there is actually a state law that employers have to let employees who are volunteer fire and EMS out of work without fear of termination. The law does not say they have to pay us though. I am lucky that my boss and I have a good relationship. As long as I let someone know and it does not affect my work I am OK to leave anytime. I have left for dive calls, big structure fires as well as searches. One night at 2 am we responed to a large chemical leak. We did not finish till about 2 pm the next day. I just made a call and there were no problems. Mostly it is early morning ambulance calls that get me to work a little late. Our company has flex time so as long as I make up the time at the end of the day I am all set. I really like the law it is nice.

Mark

Jorbar1551:
one of the team members has a card saying "disaster team member" that says he can get off of work without getting fired. very few of the team members work for PD, Fire, EMS, but have normal jobs. everyone started saying that this was a great idea, until the chief brought up a good point.

he doesnt want anyone on the team to have a card saying "go F... yourself to the boss" anytime we want some time off.

do you guys have something like this?

I am a member of the National guard so this sort of applies to me . . . My employer has to let me off for drill, but this is a two way street. I have had a call on friday morning that said I was needed all weekend and my boss let me go. But I have always come in on monday with documentation saying I was called in. This might be something each person should work out with their employer, ie telling them they are a "squirrel" :) (j/k) and may be called away to save lives. . .

One thing to keep in mind is this, I told my First SGT this when I came back from Katrina and they wanted me to show up for drill, "I now need to look out for they guy who pays me the other 28 days of the month". Meaning I needed to skip a drill so I could get back to work since the guy who paid me the rest of the time let me go on 72hrs notice for an entire month. . .

OK enough from me. . . My last point is this . . . remember you are a volunteer. . . this means you are doing this because you want to . . . at no time while doing volunteer work should you put your real job on the line.

Just how I see it. . .
John

They sort of do. To be a team member you have to be can have another job but you need to be a full-time member of Law Enforcement or Fire Department.

It’s the other job that might be the problem. In my case it isn’t because I own the business so dealing with the boss isn’t a problem. :D

Gary D.

I'm a volunteer on a dive team attached to a fire dept. Whenever we have an incident that conflicts with the regular job, I get the IC, usually a Lt. or Chief, to write a note (dated) on the back of one of his business cards explaining my absence. The IC's never mind and the boss never questions.

In Pennsylvania, we have the same law which protects volunteer fire fighters who respond to calls before work. There is no provision for personnel to leave their jobs once they are there. The employer does not have to pay the employee. However, we have had employers tell our FF's that you need to decide if you want to be a fireman or work here. If something ever occurred, we as officers would push the issue with the employer, but an employer can find any other reason they want to get rid of an employee. if you do not have the support of your employer, you really need to focus on your job. The VFD does not put food on the table.

On the flip side, I am very fortunate with my employer that they encourage us to perform community service. I already have permission from my employer to respond with the Swift Water Rescue Team for up to a week if we are ever deployed outside of our area. I have left work for fire calls, dive calls, and water rescue calls. I recognize I am fortunate.

Dan

Im planning on getting a job in EMS. Probably BLS transport for a while, but what if i get a call on the job. How does a company respond to situations like that?

Everyone:

Being that I am in management at a manufacturing firm, I can tell you that you need to clarify your position with your supervision "before" you have a situation. For those paid personnel who what we do is part of their jobs, it's no issue. However, for the significant segment of those who are volunteer, we must recognize that although the law is on our side, proving wrong was done is another story. We need to remember that our volunteer organization does not put food on the table, a roof over our heads, medical coverage or any of the other benefits we enjoy from our employers.

If my employer was not understanding and supportive of my efforts, I would insure that work comes second, right after family!

Dan

I am a volunteer as well. Allthough my employeer supports community service, the time I am out of the office on scene comes from my personal days/ vacation time. On average, this results in a few days a year. Since we do not have a high volume of dive team callouts, I do not press the issue.

Back
Top Bottom