Doing a more thorough Pre-Dive Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSD Diver99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was reminded a few weeks ago about how important it is to truly do a full pre-dive inspection of all your equipment. I don't believe this would have turned out badly as I believe myself and the divers I was with would have handled this effectively, but worth sharing as nothing like this has ever happened to me. Long story short, on a deeper, non-deco wreck dive, I returned to the boat, got up the ladder, and after sitting down went to stow my long hose only to realize the 2nd stage had dropped off the hose while I was sitting down. The reg had been serviced a few months prior. So now I have added checking the tightness of every single connection on my gear. Including dump valves, etc. All of them. Never assume.

Hi @PSD Diver99

I was doing the last dive on a trip to Malpelo in the summer of 2021. I reached back to release some air from my butt dump, the entire dump valve came off in my hand. I put the valve in a pocket and finished the last part of the dive, my buoyancy was not far off. I had been diving this BC for about 3 years and had never checked the dump valve. I have now added that to the list of checks I make, at least on the start of every diving series. Interestingly, in 20 years, this had never happened to me before. Dive and learn.

Just recently I completed a pre-dive checklist on Google Keep that I will do before the dive.
Caught a slichtly leaking 2nd stage that only got worse when I started fiddling with it in an attempt to stop it. Caught it before getting on the boat.

Tank O-rings condition
Hoses condition
Hose connections tightness
BCD hose Schrader valve looseness
2nd stages including mouth piece
Pressurize regulator and listen for leaks
Inflate BCD until purge
Breathe air from both 2nd stages
Pressurize Pony and leak check
Weight pouch secured
Mask strap
Fin springs

Just recently I completed a pre-dive checklist on Google Keep that I will do before the dive.
Caught a slichtly leaking 2nd stage that only got worse when I started fiddling with it in an attempt to stop it. Caught it before getting on the boat.

Tank O-rings condition
Hoses condition
Hose connections tightness
BCD hose Schrader valve looseness
2nd stages including mouth piece
Pressurize regulator and listen for leaks
Inflate BCD until purge
Breathe air from both 2nd stages
Pressurize Pony and leak check
Weight pouch secured
Mask strap
Fin springs
You forgot "Check computer is on and O2 percentage set".

Also, you may need to change your username to BeRightThereMarc.

You forgot "Check computer is on and O2 percentage set".
Adding it right now! Thanks!
Also, you may need to change your username to BeRightThereMarc.
LOL... a long time name from my motorsport background. Trust me, I'm slooow in water. :)

I was reminded a few weeks ago about how important it is to truly do a full pre-dive inspection of all your equipment. I don't believe this would have turned out badly as I believe myself and the divers I was with would have handled this effectively, but worth sharing as nothing like this has ever happened to me. Long story short, on a deeper, non-deco wreck dive, I returned to the boat, got up the ladder, and after sitting down went to stow my long hose only to realize the 2nd stage had dropped off the hose while I was sitting down. The reg had been serviced a few months prior. So now I have added checking the tightness of every single connection on my gear. Including dump valves, etc. All of them. Never assume.
I had a similar problem diving with an Atomic reg with the second stage comfort swivel. When pressurized, the swivel is very tight and behaves somewhat like fixed angle for the hose. This allows the hose to become a lever arm and movement of the hose loosened the nut between the second stage and the hose and started bubbling air. Noticing this I was able to tighten the connection under water.

The comfort swivel presents an extra risk of loosening the second stage connection and after this I always made sure that nut is tight.

Doing a pre-splash check list that I will laminate and have with me before splashing. I will keep in a small soft cooler that's always with me. I also keep my computer, baby shampoo, rags for drying and wrist slate in it.

• Mask defogged and rinsed
  • Tank pressure on and breathe tested
  • BCD on and inflated
  • Necklace with alternate around neck
  • Fins on
  • Pony clipped, bungeed and pressurized
  • Computer on and AI checked
  • Wrist slate on
  • Mask on
what am I missing....

Doing a pre-splash check list that I will laminate and have with me before splashing. I will keep in a small soft cooler that's always with me. I also keep my computer, baby shampoo, rags for drying and wrist slate in it.

• Tank pressure on and breathe tested
  • BCD on and inflated
  • Fins on
  • Pony clipped, bungeed and pressurized
  • Wrist slate on
  • Mask on
what am I missing....
Breathe-test both regs.
Weights.

Breathe-test both regs.
Weights.
Ah, good catch especially with the both regs.
I could have sworn I had the weights, but it was on my pre-dive inspection checklist for when the gears are getting assembled prior to getting on the boat. Can't hurt to have it on this as well.

• Tank pressure on and breathe test both regs
  • Weight pouch check
  • BCD on and inflated
  • Fins on
  • Pony clipped, bungeed, pressurized and breathe tested
  • Wrist slate on
  • Mask on

Breathe-test both regs.
Weights.
Make sure, especially if you are using al ong hose, to breathe the regs down at least 5-6 full breaths while checking your SPG. Your SPG should show no drop in pressure when you breathe. Also, the long hose contains more air than a regular hose so make sure to breathe it down enough times to ensure all is well !

Back
Top Bottom