Doing a more thorough Pre-Dive Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check pee valve is connected and functional when wearing a drysuit.
Klick.

Or spend the night washing your underclothes. Hmmm, wonder how well that’s known.

Personally, I keep it simple. While assembling my kit, I inspect components as they are assembled. BCD hoses and dumps, cutting tools, hose routing. Before I splash fins, weights, mask and air get the last check. The thing I am most likely to screw up? the cam band on a second dive. I can fix any problem as long as I have air and the ability to control buoyancy. every thing else is a detail.

On vacation to Florida a couple of weeks ago, I accidentally brought my drysuit inflator rather than my BCD LP hose (they are not compatible). I ended up having to orally control my BCD until I was able to borrow the correct hose. That should have been checked when packing.

I prefer equipment check top to bottom, right to left. It doesn't need to be an equipment match a la GUE, but the part about checking the regs, dive computer settings, cylinder pressure, are things that shouldn't be missed.

I find the mnemonics less reliable based on my statistically insufficient observations.

Attachments

• GUE_edge_graphic_small.png
    GUE_edge_graphic_small.png
    321.2 KB · Views: 49
So I put an I for instruments into the BWRAF on my own. My mnemonic was Bruce Willis Ruins Another Independent Film. Sadly, that mnemonic is dsrespectful to his current medical condition.
Boulder Women Really Are Intensely Fine

Boulder Women Really Are Intensely Fine
There was another BWRAF version about women from the capital of Thailand. I'm thinking "illusory" could be added to that one.

I might have missed the check to make sure your valves are open. That's the most important one.

I check configuration, hoses, tightness, etc before trips.

I check my gear and o2% before every dive. I prefer setting up my rig before the boat leaves if I'm on a boat.

I have a final check I do before I jump off a boat to ensure my exposure protection is square, my flotation works, my air sources are available, and my fins are good. If you can breath, float, and reach the tag line, you are not in immediate danger.

Back
Top Bottom