Doing checkout dive in 65 degree water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

65*-shortie-checkouts??????
nah....your attention span will be on other things!!!!!
give it a chance to warm up a bit or find some more rubber!!
enjoy your course!
have fun
Yaeg

I have dove 65 deg. in a shortie in the ocean. It was not to comfortable but I would not recommend it for a check out dive. The quarry at home is usually in the 50's in the summer. I agree with Vinegarbiscuit the Xcel is a good wetsuite I have used mine for four years now and is holding up great I have almost 200 dives on it. Mine is a Xcel Vortex 5/4/3 and I am fine in 50 deg. water. If nothing else rent a 3mm and wear your shortie over it. That will give you 6mm. Back in the winter our quarry was 42deg. I wore my 5/4/3mm plus my 3mm shortie it was miserable.

Just received email back from my LDS and he said he has my size up to 6.5 mil so I should be good to go in 2 weeks!

Man I am excited.

Thanks for the help everyone

definitely 7mm. If you get too hot, which I doubt, you can alwasy let water in. But if you are too cold, you will feel miserable.

Just received email back from my LDS and he said he has my size up to 6.5 mil so I should be good to go in 2 weeks!

Man I am excited.

Thanks for the help everyone

That's great news. Good luck!

Glad to hear they have something to fit. My advanced class dove this weekend and my big guy wore a 3mm full suit under a 3mm shortie and was toasty. His computer said 65 degrees, mine said 62. Even I went with wet gloves in my drysuit and my hands stayed warm.

I took a student to another site for check out dives the weekend before. The water was 45 degrees on the surface and 41 at depth. You need a 7mm suit for that.

Cold is a personal thing. Once the water gets below 60 degrees cold management starts getting very important. I whine for my drysuit in 72 degree water, a friend will dive wet in 45 degree water even though he owns a drysuit.

Have fun on your dives!
Ber

i did my check out dives in 62 degree water in a 7 mil (no hood) and was ok. Would have liked to have had a hood too though. It wasnt to cold but I wouldnt do it in anything less then a 5mm at the very least for a quick dive or 7mm if your gonna be under for a bit.

Sounds like the waters in the region are really starting to warm up in earnest. When I dove a week ago Pennyroyal was at 57 degrees. I did a 40 min dive, being towed by a friend on his scooter, before starting to get cold. That & a nasty thunderstorm popped up & the lightening drove us out.

This past weekend I did my OW dives in 61 deg in a fullbody 3mm with no hood or gloves. I was freezing!! We only stayed under for about 20min per dive. I was dang near hyperventalating as I submerged, and shivering by the time I surfaced. That being said, when we were actually swimming around it wasn't too bad. But taking off my mask was the worst thing ever, as bad as floating for 10 min for our SI between dives.

It's cold, but bearable. And I hate cold. Originally from Houston and lived in the Middle East.

Last weekend we were in the quarry in Hunstville. Water was 72. Had on a 3mm with a hooded corewarmer 5/3 and gloves. Unless you are very cold tolerant, I would start looking for something more to wear. You have 5 dives over two days - 80 minutes down. With all that, we were still cold on the second day when the skys got cloudy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom