Doing checkout dive in 65 degree water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can, wear a hood or a beanie atleast. Avoid the icream headache...I cannot stand cold...I love my drysuit..my undies, my dry gloves and my core vest heater...spoiled you say...you bet.

Another thing to consider and bring with you is. Hot soup, lots of hot bottled water. Even thought the weather may be nice and sunny and warm....you use the hot water to warm up your core, your head and hands/feet. Bring a large cooler. To keep your hot water in...:wink:. Also bring a hat for your head. Once you warmed up you can be set for the next dive also bring a Blanket or a big jacket. Just to keep the wind off and warm up. Your enemy is the wind if any. I know it may be over kill...but your diving in cold water...take advantage of heat. poor the hot water over your head, towel off and if your hands are cold use the hot water. Poor the hot water down your suit. I would go as far as bringing hand warmers aswell...

I speak of experience. Many students I worked with got very cold because of the wind. I set up a shelter so they can get warm. And this was in mid may. It was rainly and a cold chill was in the air.

Have fun

That 6.5 mm should be fine. Last weekend, I dove in a local quarry in Virginia with a Bare Velocity 7/6 (7mm on the torso, 6 on the arms and legs) fullsuit, with 5mm hood and gloves. The temperature was in the upper 50's at the surface, 54 at 31 feet and 51 at 62 feet. The first dive was 58 minutes, and I was pretty comfortable except that my hands got a little chilly after we were at > 60' for a while. Have a great time!

+ 1 more for that 6.5mm. You will be fine. If you like bring your shortie with you and if you are cold on your first dive double up and wear your shortie. Enjoy your dive. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom