Doing checkout dive in 65 degree water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planning to do checkouts in a few weeks in our local quarry. Right now the quarry is at 63 and since it is shallow (35ft) it stays warm most of the summer.

The only suit I have is a 3mm shorty and I was wondering if this would be sufficient or should I push back my checkout dive a few weeks?

That's drysuit weather.

Ask the shop if they'll throw in a free drysuit class and drysuit rental (assuming they rent drysuits).

If not, definitely thick wetsuit or wait until july or august.

Terry

Last edited:
I did a dive this past weekend , 64 f at surface and 53 f at 50-60 I was in a 7mm. It was really cold at depth at 64, 0-40 it was ok.

I'd say try it , if you get to cold thumb the rest and wait a few weeks. This is of course if they aren't gonna charge you any extra. some people tolerate cold better than others. At 53 and with no gloves ( i hate em ) I could only stand it at depth for about 10 mins... had to get alittle shallower.

That temperature is typical for our dives, and, as others have said, we put students in 7 mm suits for that, frequently (not always) with hoods. I am very cold tolerant, but I assure you my dive would not last long in a 3 mm shorty, and you would probably hear me yelp on entry from your home.

I did a dive in 50 degree water wearing a 7mm O'neil J-suit yesterday.

I was doing OK when I got in, but when we got down to 90', damn was it cold! We stayed down there about 5 minutes and then ascended to about 70'. Come this time I was freezing my private parts off. When we got in to about 30' though things got better. I was still very cold, but not as cold as I had been out deeper. Total dive time including the safety stop was a little over 30 minutes and I couldn't take much more than that.

Now if the water had been 64 degrees, I wouldn't have had a problem even down deep, but I wouldn't try it in a 3mil. I'd want at least a 5 mil and better yet a 7 mil. I can't see bothering with a drysuit though. Unless you need one they're an expensive pain in the butt. You have to wear extra lead, figure out your undergarments and your trim, learn to vent it, etc... Then there's the fact that they start at about $600 for an entry level suit.

Sure wish I'd worn mine yesterday though.

The answer, of course, is personal tolerance. In that temp. in Florida I dived with just the 7 mil top, no hood and reef gloves. Didn't want to buy another wetsuit. So I probably would go ahead and do it if waiting for warmer water is inconvenient. But that's just me. I dive all winter in the 7 mil farmer john down to 33F. I would imagine where you are means now your surface intervals will be on the warm side, so that is a big help when diving wet.

The answer, of course, is personal tolerance. In that temp. in Florida I dived with just the 7 mil top, no hood and reef gloves. Didn't want to buy another wetsuit. So I probably would go ahead and do it if waiting for warmer water is inconvenient. But that's just me. I dive all winter in the 7 mil farmer john down to 33F. I would imagine where you are means now your surface intervals will be on the warm side, so that is a big help when diving wet.

Personal tolerance seems to be the main thing. There seems to be a wide range, at least for short-term exposure.

I don't know if this is a good idea (Somebody???), but maybe you could ask if you can wear two 3mm suits: I have seen it done.

I would go with a 5mm or the 7mm as stated above If you plan on doing a lot of lake and or quarry diving I would purchase a good 5mm or 7mm (depending on your tolerance to cold)all so a good 5mm hood , and 5mm glove . don't make the same mistake I did I dove in 47 degree water temp. in 65' with 3mm glove BIG mistake I was So cold after 30 min. I could not stop shaking and it took me 1 hour to warm up in front of a propane heater. Allso 5mm botties Good luck on you check out dive stay warm you will injoy it a hole lot more

DIVE SAFE KEN

Planning to do checkouts in a few weeks in our local quarry. Right now the quarry is at 63 and since it is shallow (35ft) it stays warm most of the summer.

The only suit I have is a 3mm shorty and I was wondering if this would be sufficient or should I push back my checkout dive a few weeks?

That suit will not do at all.

Your instructor should put you in a suitable suit for local diving. In this case a full 7mm outfit. If he was on the ball you have been doing pool work in a hood & gloves as practice.

My big issue is size when it comes to renting.

I am a big guy 6'8 325lbs and the 3mm shorty is from my LDS.

I just sent him an email to see if he had anything I could borrow/rent for the checkouts that would fit.

OK, now I see your dilemma. Your LDS would be exceptional if it carried in stock rental gear that fitted you. Even a XXL full-length wetsuit would likely come down to your calves only, leaving exposed a few inches of skin between the cuff and the top of your booties.

My fiance is 6'6", so I've seen first hand the dilemmas that tall blokes face when it comes to choosing exposure protection. There are a few manufactuers that cater to taller divers - Xcel's 5XL may be a pretty fair choice, for example (XCEL WETSUITS || OFFICIAL SITE) - but another alternative is to go for a custom-made wetsuit. You may face a similar issues with drysuits, if you go down that route - my fiance had his custom-made.

If your LDS can rent you a full-length suit, accept their offer AND maybe wait until later in the season, when the water's warmer, since chances are good you'll have some bare leg exposed to the water. In the longer run, consider buying a suit that will fit you perfectly and afford you all the warmth you could possibly desire. A cold diver = miserable diver.

65 F is the lowest temp I'll dive a 3mm shortie in... your mileage could be quite different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom