Doing Coffee Right - the guide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwerb- Are you talking about the Java Press? I have one of those, along with my little flyweight stove.

I do a lot of hiking. It's #2 on my to do list, right after diving. My two secrets to happy hiking are good socks, and good food :wink:

There's nothing like hitting a trail in the Adirondaks at 4AM, hiking up a few thousand feet, and watching the sunrise over a fresh cup of coffee.

BTW- PhotoTJ, where've you been lately? Haven't seen you post in a while.

yeah...camping coffee press...hmm...when I saved the link it went right to it. Now it's the homepage.

Search..."coffee maker" and you'll hit it.

PhotoTJ - I'm with you.... I am not a coffee person, but a nice cup of mint cocoa is just fine with me!

The whole coffee thing. I just don't get it.

Its like smoking - there are smokers, non smokers and anti-smokers (think Elaine - Seinfeld). I'm more of a non-coffee person. You like it, cool. You need it, uh, OK. Its just all lost on me. No biggie - just passed my by.

But I can offer first hand knowledge, that BWERB is a WRECK without it. I seem to recall seeing BWERB going through the floorboards and seats of his car looking for enough change to score a coke from a machine to feed the 'fene jones one morning recently...

:D

I think its more that I'm not a hot beverage guy. The whole coffee thing, tea thing, etc. I dunno. My wife - loves it. Its not a need thing with her, but she loves it. We have a maker, it runs maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I just don't get it.

Plus, anyone who's met me knows that if you add coffee, you'd need a blast shield - I'm pretty amped most of the time anyway....

This is from a friend's brother-in-law, G, who is otherwise kind of a wierd anal-retentive dude....

If you do the auto-drip thing with a coffee machine at home, don't let it sit there more than 12.5 minutes --- it was meant for immediate consumption.

"G" may be odd in other ways, but I find him on target here.

And those flavored coffees...isn't that what one does to hide inferior bean quality?

Mo2vation once bubbled...
The whole coffee thing. I just don't get it.

For me, it's because I quit everything else I used to do, with smoking being my grand finale in 2000.

Coffee is all that I've got left.........

:D

12.5 minutes, and he's "kind" of anal retentive??? :D

Yup they won't let you smoke anymore. And drinking alcohol is a big no-no at functions any more. The only thing left is coffee.

I remember when I was a volunteer fireman back in the 70's we used to have what was called "Smokers" for a fundraiser.

All the men, (women weren't allowed in the Department) got together to eat, drink beer, play cards and smoke free cigars. And the place was packed.

Now they still allow coffee at the meetings.

I mentioned a lexan press in my post... indestructible... but for us ultralight hikers, bringing a piece of equiptment with one tiny function like that is unthinkable :-D

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
If you do the auto-drip thing with a coffee machine at home, don't let it sit there more than 12.5 minutes --- it was meant for immediate consumption.

And those flavored coffees...isn't that what one does to hide inferior bean quality?

12.5 minutes strikes me as extremely anal retentive... can you drink 12 cups of coffee in 12.5 minutes??? That being said... it will taste better the sooner you drink it. The biggest reason coffee tastes bad after 3 hours is because the coffee has been "burnt" by the hotplate and most hotplates just put out constant heat and don't adjust it for temperautre. This is why I love my adjustable hotplate on my coffee maker... it monitors temperature and you have a dial where you can set temperature. I adjust it depending on how long I expect it to be sitting. Another issue is that some oils can evaporate into the air from open carafes... especially if it is too hot.

If I am going to be drinking that coffee 6 or 8 hours later, I take my sealed thermal caraffe, fill it with hot water to preheat it... dump it... and pour in the coffee and it tastes nearly as great 4 hours later than the first cup out of the machine. (The first cup is almost always the best.)

Flavored coffee? Yes, many companies often use inferior beans for their flavored stuff thinking people won't notice. I can tell. Most people can't tell because they've never had flavored coffee with good beans. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you who still uses their top beans for flavoring... I don't think Millstone does. The Roasterie, I can assure you from first hand knowledge, does use top notch beans for EVERYTHING.

LOL- At the altitude you live at, I think "ultralight" is your only option :D

I'm more of a minimalist hiker, as opposed to ultralight. I'll bring a few luxury items along for fun.

I'm not one of those guys with a dutch oven, hibachi and picnic table strapped to their back :rolleyes:

For some good coffee, I'll carry an extra pound or two...

Well, if I mentioned that the source of this idea is a management consultant, would it make more sense? Yes, it's the heating element that burns it. Any longer than 12.5 minutes, the quality drops off, and the brewing of a new pot is in order. I can just see him timing and tasting it now, LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom