Doing Coffee Right - the guide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tankajava raised the demitasse as he absently scrolled through the Scubaboard posts. His focus was elsewhere. A cup of well-brewed espresso always gave him a haunting glimpse into the essence – the very soul – of coffee. The soft golden cap of crema, the bold room-filling aroma, the first sip of the deep, complex, and satisfying nectar commanded his focus. He knew the pleasure would be fleeting yet intense and memorable. The experience would leave him shortly with nothing more than an exquisite aftertaste and an indelible memory of this fragile moment.

Tankajava started suddenly – soft ripples disturbed the frothy crema as it came threateningly close to escaping the fine bone china vessel. Could his eyes have misled him - a new coffee snob? Muffy never spoke of anyone with a moniker like “The Avatar”. He glanced across the library and focused his gaze on the misted hillsides that formed the eastern Jamaican range. The Tankajava family workers were busying themselves with the routine of the harvest. Nothing seemed amiss at any of the estates he could see from here. There had been no discussion of a new snob at the last meeting of the Coffee Industry Board. Perhaps a call to Mr. Keble Munn, the former Minister of Agriculture and now current owner of the Mavis Bank Central Factory would be in order……..meanwhile back to the post and today’s little slice of reality.

Ah! Coffee, joe, mud, pick-me-up, 30 weight, caffeine, drip, unleaded, jolt, black bean soup, liquid stimulant, hook-up, pick-up, rocket fuel, espresso, black ambrosia - java, java, java, java, java!!!!!

Coffee snob, Avatar??? I think not. A real coffee snob chuckles knowingly when a pseudo-member of the coffee intelligentsia walks in to a new haunt and orders a ristretto straight then walks out with a 13 second shot that the barista did not regrind and retamp.

You strike me as a coffee aficionado who knows what he wants and enjoys. You have crafted a most excellent and informative piece here that spells out many of the shortfalls of the current state of coffee brewing here in the US. ‘Tis an art we have lost within the last 60 years or so. Prior to WWII coffee was roasted and ground in the home. Green beans were the rule of the day and one can imagine the aroma wafting through the neighborhood on roasting days. Our growth as a nation with its subsequent industrialization and demand for timesaving procedures in modern America gave us the miracle of pre-roasted, pre-ground, vacuum packaged coffee – followed quickly by crystals of instant java – Blech!!.

You really owe it to yourself to try out the vacuum brewing method. The vacuum pot, invented in 1840 by a Scottish marine engineer, is the predominant method used in the thousands of coffee houses populating Japan today. It was popular here from the 1920s through 1940s. Katharine Hepburn is seen struggling with one of these chemistry glassware experiments gone mad in “Woman of the Year”. It makes what many assert is the finest cup of coffee found and brews almost as clear and sediment free as your drip method. I have a Japanese vacuum pot that uses an alcohol burner to heat the lower chamber. Starbucks sold a modern electric version called the Europa that takes the guesswork out of preparation.

Another brewing method that makes a less acidic cup of joe is cold-water brewing. This was a method popular among Dutch settlers in Java in the 19th century and is currently used by Seattle’s Finest franchises to brew some of their specialty drinks. In this method the ground coffee is steeped for up to 24 hours in cold fresh water then the concentrate is filtered off. The concentrate may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week or frozen for longer periods. You can reconstitute 2 ounces of liquid with 6 ounces of water off the boil to make a smooth-tasting low acid cup of coffee. It’s also great cold.

I mentioned the Japanese coffee houses earlier. The Japanese came late to the coffee game and have taken to this western habit like they took to baseball. Pepsi and Coke have cornered the cold coffee market and ubiquitous talking vending machines dispense 100 ml cans whose contents rival a Starbucks Double Shot for 100 - 150 yen (roughly $0.80 - 1.20 US.). Iced coffee is on the menu at all McDonalds and standard fare in most small resturants.

I loved traveling the Japanese countryside and experiencing the variety of decors and atmospheres as much as the individual coffees. Japanese coffee houses are great social places to meet members of the opposite sex, enjoy good music, or just relax and read a good book, watch people, or enjoy excellent pastries. Plus the Japanese buy approximately 85 – 90% of the world’s Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. A finely brewed cup of Blue Mountain, recognized by many as the world’s finest coffee, will set you back about $3.00. Their pastries have less sugar and are more flavorful than our cakes and donuts. (BTW: Japanese Dunkin’ Donuts are formed with a dough tab before frying so you have a handle to hold when dunking.)

Did I just mention Dunkin Donuts? This must be a Connections episode! Dunkin’ Donuts has begun installing an $11,800 “super-automated” espresso machine called the Shaerer Ambiente, in its stores in an effort to cut into the Starbucks market. Hmmmm….We will see.

Oh yeah! About your comment on flavored coffees… Why would anyone waste a “top” bean for flavored coffee? The proper flavor for coffee is….well, COFFEE! Cut it with crème. Sweeten it with sugar but at least it’s still coffee.

Also, Turkish coffee is one coffee you MUST boil and boil not once but three times in your “ibrik” ‘til it forms a thick high froth.

Man the caffeine’s really kicking in now. Did I pull a ristretto or a Cuban shot? Must concentrate….must nnnng…. Cannot stay focused. Maybe I should go before this tome loses all manner of logic.

In parting, good work, Avatar! Now go and have a cup on me but remember - people don’t drink decaf because they like coffee. They drink it because they like going to the bathroom. It’s the same with lite beer. :D

t-o-j

Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java :D

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java, Java :D

Cobaltbabe.....
My handle is Java on every other forum I belong to. My dog is named Java. My son is Java the Younger and my daughter is 'lil Miss Java. Missus Java also chimes in from time-to-time. Which one of us are you and George referring to.....or is this just our introduction at a coffee klatch???:D

tankajava once bubbled...

Cobaltbabe.....
My handle is Java on every other forum I belong to. My dog is named Java. My son is Java the Younger and my daughter is 'lil Miss Java. Missus Java also chimes in from time-to-time. Which one of us are you and George referring to.....or is this just our introduction at a coffee klatch???:D

All of the above

Back
Top Bottom