Doing It Prejudiced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichLockyer:
From one or two drinks? What are you drinking? :eyebrow:

I didn't say that there was no limit on alcohol. I said that there's not a problem with a couple of drinks, as in with a meal or a similar situation.
I specifically said that it is NOT acceptable to drink to the point that you are hung over the next day, or to drink to the point of serious impairment on a regular basis.

I don't drink alcohol, nor do I smoke.

I don't understand how you can defend so strongly a TOTAL ban on smoking yet allow some UNDEFINED amount of alcohol.

How much is too much?
How often is too often?
How soon before diving is too soon?

What EXACTLY are the limits for alcohol?

Do you really believe that ALL of the bad effects of alcohol are gone in a few hours?

I am sorry, I just don't see the logic that supports alcohol as good and smoking as bad.

pipedope:
I am sorry, I just don't see the logic that supports alcohol as good and smoking as bad.
I didn't say that alcohol is good (though it can be argued that some forms, such as red wine, do offer some benefits).

It would certainly be preferable for a diver to be completely drug and alcohol free, but remember, I'm not saying that is is acceptable to dust off a 6-pack or find the bottom of a bottle of rum.

As far as the lasting effects of alcohol... Ya, for one or two drinks, it is completely metabolized within a few hours. Lasting effects would be the impacts on hydration and blood sugar, which can easily be mitigated through intake of water and proper diet. Even the impact on blood sugar is very short-term, but it begins a chain of events that promotes the storage of fatty tissues. A reasonably fit person can deal with this without suffering a change in body composition.
Blood sugar imbalances are the root cause of hangovers and other post-drinking "bad feelings". That's why rum and meade will totally slam you, but vodka is rarely accused of being the devil.

Before diving? Personally, I would not consume any alcohol within 8 hours of a dive. 12 hours for more than one or two beers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom