Doing It Prejudiced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well it takes a lot to get me well and truly p****d off but I am now. I have been quite interested in reading about DIR concepts and practice - which I knew nothing about before joining this board. I was under the impression that the whole purpose of DIR was to make for better, safer divers. I'd heard about the supposed arrogance from the DIR community - but didn't really see much evidence to support it. Now I have just found out that I am precluded from taking any GUE course at all - why? - BECAUSE I"M A SMOKER! Well - that's prejudice pure and simple in my book - nothing to do with diving. And I thought that America was the country of freedom of choice and personal liberty - and GUE is supposed to be the pinnacle of American diving philosophy? Wow!
Suffice to say - almost all the tobacco that I have ever smoked came from America in the first place.
I'll just carry on learning to be a better diver in other ways - who knows - I might even give up smoking one day (I appreciate it's not that healthy - but I didn't see any ban on caffiene, junk food, or even alchohol). One thing I do know is that I will NEVER take any course from an organization with such a prejudiced attitude.
I wish that I could just add the entire DIR forum to my ignore list - because that's what GUE has already done to me.

I thought that all DIR smokers used the same brand, lit the fags in the same manner with the same type of lighter, carried spare lit cigs in the same position (held by a bungee to their throats), and inhaled/exhaled at the same rate and with the same velocity.

Just goes to show that you can learn something new each day.

KimLeece:
Now I have just found out that I am precluded from taking any GUE course at all - why? - BECAUSE I"M A SMOKER! Well - that's prejudice pure and simple in my book - nothing to do with diving.
Interesting.

"nothing to do with diving"?

What is it you think "SCUBA" stands for?

Should there be no standards for diving? I think not. It appears we disagree.

Bye. I miss you already.

Don Burke:
Interesting.

"nothing to do with diving"?

Should there be no standards for diving? I think not. It appears we disagree.

Bye. I miss you already.
As far as I know - SCUBA stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

I don't smoke underwater - and I don't get fills with nicotine in my tank. There is no evidence or even medical suggestion that smokers shouldn't dive as far as I know. Do you know different? Or do you simply dislike smokers? The only agency that I'm aware of that sets this 'standard' for diving - is GUE. Are the rest all wrong?

You tell 'em Kim.

I think that a lot of good things could come from the DIR concept, but they do need to loosen up a bit.

Don Burke:

Super Collosal Underwater Barracuda Attack?

Super Cool Underwater Breathing Air ?

Sex Contains Undesirable Breeding Aspects?

Marc

KimLeece:
As far as I know - SCUBA stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.?
So far, so good.
KimLeece:
I don't smoke underwater - and I don't get fills with nicotine in my tank.?
That is a good start. However, you are probably using the same lungs for diving that you use for smoking.

Just a guess.
KimLeece:
There is no evidence or even medical suggestion that smokers shouldn't dive as far as I know.?
That doesn't match up with what I have seen.
KimLeece:
Do you know different??
see above.
KimLeece:
Or do you simply dislike smokers??
Not all smokers, just whining ones.
KimLeece:
The only agency that I'm aware of that sets this 'standard' for diving - is GUE. Are the rest all wrong?
Maybe. It is their agency and those are their rules. Crying about discrimination and prejudice will not fix anything.

Don Burke -
Please tell me what you've seen - that's exactly what I asked for - evidence - not off hand comments that 'I've seen it'. I don't believe there is any evidence. There you go - post it and prove me wrong.
As to the 'whining' thing - just check which forum we are in - I thought that was precisely the point here.

Back
Top Bottom