Doing It Prejudiced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimLeece:
Don Burke -
Please tell me what you've seen - that's exactly what I asked for - evidence - not off hand comments that 'I've seen it'. I don't believe there is any evidence. There you go - post it and prove me wrong.
As to the 'whining' thing - just check which forum we are in - I thought that was precisely the point here.

Kim,

GUE is a technical diving training agency, there standards are written to that end. Technical Diving means increased risk, and DIR is a holistic philosophy coving all aspects of diving. One of these is health and fitness.

Prejudice abounds in the world, but typically it is usually pertaining to things people can not control, i.e. race, sex, etc. But to label GUE as being prejudiced against you for smoking? You were not born a smoker. Smoking is your choice - you made it. GUE has standards they set to be a professional scuba training agency. All agencies do - they have to put the bar somewhere.

Next your going to say you can't swim? Oh now - is GUE prejudiced against all non-swimmers? Afterall theres a swimming requirement to this thing as well... GUE was founded because other agencies wern't raising the bar. Step up, or step away - your choice. But don't blame the bar.

netmage:
Step up, or step away - your choice. But don't blame the bar.

I stepped up to the bar last night and dived into a couple of frosty beverages. I thought GUE discouraged this nearly as much as smoking....... :eyebrow:

cancun mark:
I stepped up to the bar last night and dived into a couple of frosty beverages. I thought GUE discouraged this nearly as much as smoking....... :eyebrow:
There's a difference between enjoying a couple of cold ones every now and then and getting plastered.... or downing a 6-pack every evening.

If you are physically fit to meet GUE's standards, then there is a very high probability that you have your alcohol consumption firmly under control. "Recreational" drug use is unacceptable, as there is really no way to do that "in moderation"

More than once have I enjoyed a couple of pints of Guinness with more than one GUE instructor. Some are tea-totallers, some are vegan, and some are carnivores. The key is physical and metal fitness.
GUE does not discourage a vegetarian diet, but does not require it.

RichLockyer:
Hmm... don't hear no squeaky voices, so this must be a deep-air thread :D
I can hear your voices......... :eyebrow:

I'm sorry, was that OT?? What was the topic, ayway?

RichLockyer:
I think everyone could tell it was a freaking joke.
Lighten up.
Ha, that was lightened.
It's not like I said I'd test his panic management skills from 100 yards.
Which probably would be fun. But hey I guess you're right, that would be a freaking joke too.
Not really funny though, eh?

Besides, it's a legitimate question, not directed to you, I might add.
Rhetorical, I suppose, cause really it's just another unnecessary donut hole comment.

I don't smoke (never have), so take that as my perspective on this...

[1] Smoke how much? 2-3 cig's a day - or 1+ packs? Where's the line drawn

[2] Does smoking change the DIR dive philosophy (hey, I don't know - I'm not DIR)?

[3] If you want to dive DIR, why do you beleive you have to have their endorsement (is it just an "in" thing to do)?

[4] Does the smoking prohabition also apply to other physical problems that are not in control of the DIR candidate?

[5] Why does anyone care that much about the requirements for some self-proclaimed "we're the best" club? If you want it that bad, follow thier rules. If not, don't sweat it.

[6] Do you beleive that there has always been one best way? What did we do before DIR? Is a label or philosophy the way to perfection?

I'm going diving now...

RichLockyer:
There's a difference between enjoying a couple of cold ones every now and then and getting plastered.... or downing a 6-pack every evening.

If you are physically fit to meet GUE's standards, then there is a very high probability that you have your alcohol consumption firmly under control. "Recreational" drug use is unacceptable, as there is really no way to do that "in moderation"
Somebody mentioned something about this 100 posts or so ago...

RichLockyer:

I agree. So how does that change or affect your view on what qualifies as a smoker (how much)? Clearly the recreational drinker is no more right on that drug than is the smoker with niccoteen (sp?).

RichLockyer:

I don't like drugs - period. But I can't say that I agree. Moderate use is "recreational" to me by defintion (IMO). I think most people would agree - but hey, I've been wrong before.

RichLockyer:
More than once have I enjoyed a couple of pints of Guinness with more than one GUE instructor. Some are tea-totallers, some are vegan, and some are carnivores. The key is physical and metal fitness.
GUE does not discourage a vegetarian diet, but does not require it.

In general, most of us find ways to justify things. Kim is wrong. So are you if you think clearly about the ambiguousness of you arguments (and I don't mean that in any unkind way). In the end, I think Kim is silly for caring so much about the DIR club.

Back
Top Bottom