Doing What Works reg and octo or 2 regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will also throw in the idea that two identical seconds means simplicity in service, tune, and parts for care......

this style of dive training and execution is about simplification & standardization to minimze the variables.

The point of donating the reg that you're breathing is to guarantee that the (potentially) stressed OOA diver is given a reg known to be working and delivering the correct gas. If you're 2000' back in a cave, you might find yourself breathing on that secondary for quite a while, so why not make it a good one? Remember, this is a system designed to scale from single tank vacation dives to serious cave or technical dives without a lot of changes, just additions.

I'm a fan of a balanced/adjustable 2nd for your primary reg and a nonadjustable backup under the chin on a bungee.

The backup reg needs to be simple and reliable (a minimum of parts, orings, knobs, and doodads), yet not prone to freeflow. Scubapro r190 (and all its variants, esp the smaller ones like the r395) fit the bill for that quite nicely. It doesn't need to breath like a dream, it just needs to work.

This is the information I was seeking. The yellow Mares Octo reg I see almost everyone with is used due to cost savings rather than use a more $ reg. Still I wonder why the tech divers use a full size reg instead of the smaller Mares type as a second? Is there any reason one should consider the more expensive option?

"Everyone" does NOT use a yellow Mares second stage. In fact, a lot of people, do not have or use Mares regulators at all, yellow or otherwise.

He does not have a yellow octopus Mares:

IMG_2708.jpg

Nor does Nemrod:

IMG_2865.jpg

Nemrod asked this moray what he thought of yellow Mares octopi, he did not have an opinion, meh:

IMG_2270.jpg

N

There are just a few companys that make the puck style or slim line octopus. Two are of entry level
performance and one the Apeks Egress is a balanced second stage with much better performance.
I tried the less expensive slim line octos and did not like them and ended up with the balanced
Apeks Egress and like it a lot. I use this on a bungee and it sits nicely below my chin and flat with
mouthpiece facing up. I like it on a bungee below my chin because I always know where it is.
My Apeks Egress was almost as much as a traditional style second stage but I felt it was worth it for
a more streamline set-up rather than a full size octo on a d-ring dragging on things and sometimes ending up
dangling if they become unclipped.

There are just a few companys that make the puck style or slim line octopus. Two are of entry level
performance and one the Apeks Egress is a balanced second stage with much better performance.
I tried the less expensive slim line octos and did not like them and ended up with the balanced
Apeks Egress and like it a lot. I use this on a bungee and it sits nicely below my chin and flat with
mouthpiece facing up. I like it on a bungee below my chin because I always know where it is.
My Apeks Egress was almost as much as a traditional style second stage but I felt it was worth it for
a more streamline set-up rather than a full size octo on a d-ring dragging on things and sometimes ending up
dangling if they become unclipped.

This causes me to remember that my ultimate goal is to be the safest possible, have the absolute minimum of hoses hanging off me and making my rig the most clean, streamlined rig I can afford.

Does using a second reg instead of an octo eliminate a hose?

No. you still have a hose for each second stage. I am curious as to how in depth your training has been as to.different gear setups?
A long hose primary with a bungeed back up is probably the most streamlined, well thought out, least complicated set up there is. Short of an old double hose with a j valve that eliminates an spg, inflator, and second reg.

Oh and no pesky bc to deal with. It sounds like your equipment class portion is/was seriously lacking.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is the information I was seeking. The yellow Mares Octo reg I see almost everyone with is used due to cost savings rather than use a more $ reg. Still I wonder why the tech divers use a full size reg instead of the smaller Mares type as a second? Is there any reason one should consider the more expensive option?

Yes.

Because if you end up breathing your "octo" you don't want it to suck. You're already managing an emergency and don't need extra stress.

If your buddy ends up breathing it, a hard-breathing reg migh be enough to send him over the edge from "stress" to "panic".

Get a real regulator for an "octo". Get one you would be happy to breath.

flots.

Last edited:
Does using a second reg instead of an octo eliminate a hose?

You need to talk to your instructor because he or she is not teaching you the proper terms. A single-hose regulator is comprised of a first stage which attaches to the tank and the second stage that goes into your mouth. The octo is just another second stage that is usually detuned and a different color. Other than the tuning and color most octos are the same as their non-octo cousins. For example a Scubapro R295, the octo and non-octo version is internally identical. Some older regs use different springs between versions but unless you are purchasing retro gear I would not concern myself.

As far as backup second stages go there are two schools of thought. Some prefer a high quality adjustable reg the same as their primary while others prefer a lesser performance but more reliable back up. The choice is yours.

If you want to eliminate a hose then you can use an integrated reg/inflater like a Scubapro Air 2 or a separate regulator that connects to the inflater like a Sherwood Shadow. You could purchase the fitting for around $30 and use any regulator you want.

Back
Top Bottom