Dolphin Slaughter in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any data presented in this thread that demonstrates any sound ecological arguement aginst dolphin hunting.

Me too.

It really looks like some people want to stop the practice just because they don't like it.

They sound like my kids when they don't want to eat something I'm asking them to try. They don't like it, yet admit they've never tried it and cannot give me a valid reason why I should not be making them try it. The anti dolphin hunting/culling/killing argument sounds much the same. Lot's of noise and fussing, no sound facts based in truth.

They sound like my kids when they don't want to eat something I'm asking them to try. They don't like it, yet admit they've never tried it and cannot give me a valid reason why I should not be making them try it. The anti dolphin hunting/culling/killing argument sounds much the same. Lot's of noise and fussing, no sound facts based in truth.

Too me, a lot of it sounds very similar to the many "animal rights" groups we have here who would like to stop me from hunting and fishing or stop my wife from wearing the deer skin coat that she made just because they don't like it.

Huntin' & killin' dolphins is just Un-American. :42:

I don't know about that but it doesn't seem like much of a reason not to do it in Japan.

The anti dolphin hunting/culling/killing argument sounds much the same. Lot's of noise and fussing, no sound facts based in truth.
That's not true. The mercury and PCBs content of dolphin and toothed whale species caught in Japanese waters (maybe everywhere I don't know) means that the meat is totally unfit for human consumption. We're talking of 20 to 200 times the permitted levels here.

It's true that most fish contain levels of pollutants, but dolphins and toothed whale are at the top of the food chain and concentrate the mercury by eating other, less polluted, fish.

The whaling issue that has now been raised in this thread is completely different - it has nothing to do with the dolphin question.

That's not true. The mercury and PCBs content of dolphin and toothed whale species caught in Japanese waters (maybe everywhere I don't know) means that the meat is totally unfit for human consumption. We're talking of 20 to 200 times the permitted levels here.

I think that's a completely valid concern but I didn't get the impression that actress (whoever she is) was crying for the poor people who are going to eat the meat.

*************** MODERATOR MESSAGE ****************

Reminder
I would like nothing more than to see a discussion on this issue without the name calling, disrespect for someone’s opinions and just plain trolling.
Please try to discuss this issue with an open mind and respect others points of view.

......but I didn't get the impression that actress (whoever she is) was crying for the poor people who are going to eat the meat.
I think she said something about dolphins are "nice" or so. For me not exactly a stellar argument but YMMV. As far as the Japanese are concerned though they're just fish and they probably find the idea of equating them with humans qua intelligence or emotion or some other human characteristic rather absurd. I think that one of the problems here is simply the totally different way of looking at things that different people can have. Oh.....and of course the apparent belief that it's perfectly OK to be judgmental and try to insist that everyone else lives according to your OWN moral codes. :eyebrow:

I think she said something about dolphins are "nice" or so. For me not exactly a stellar argument but YMMV.

I think it's a common argument though. For example, I've talked to people who are against hunting deer but think it's ok to hunt feral pigs...the pigs are ugly but the deer are pretty.
As far as the Japanese are concerned though they're just fish and they probably find the idea of equating them with humans qua intelligence or emotion or some other human characteristic rather absurd.

Of course. Today more people are introduced to the animal kingdom by way of "The Wonderful world of Disney" where animals are people too.
I think that one of the problems here is simply the totally different way of looking at things that different people can have. Oh.....and of course the apparent belief that it's perfectly OK to be judgmental and try to insist that everyone else lives according to your OWN moral codes. :eyebrow:

Yes. When it's a conservation issue there can be sometimes be common ground based on numbers and science.

I think it's a common argument though. For example, I've talked to people who are against hunting deer but think it's ok to hunt feral pigs...the pigs are ugly but the deer are pretty.

Of course. Today more people are introduced to the animal kingdom by way of "The Wonderful world of Disney" where animals are people too.

Yes. When it's a conservation issue there can be sometimes be common ground based on numbers and science.

It's all a matter of perspectives & ideologies. I do not believe in the ole' perspective that everything was placed on earth for humans to utilize. Having traveled a bit, you'll find that a lot of the world doesn't believe, nor understands that egocentric, Western POV. I also recognize the fact that culling (hunting) needs to occur as a direct result of humans screwing around, or subsistence needs. Hunting pig, or deer is typically a matter of culling in the United States. If deer, or pig numbers were low you would not see too many hunters out in the forest with their little orange jackets blasting away.

Conversely, the harvesting of cetaceans falls into different categories (in my book):

1. There is little to no point harvesting animals which have high levels of pollutants in their bodies making them unfit for consumption. If deer, or pig had the same levels of pollutants hunters would quit huntin' with the exception of those who enjoy the pleasure of the kill. This is similar to what I saw in Canadian High Arctic where wealthy American trophy hunters came to bag endangered game like Polar bears.

2. It's ludicrous to hunt animals that are clearly endangered under the pretense of scientific research. It's almost like saying let's hunt Mountain gorillas and orangutans for research purposes. Their numbers are too low for this type of vivisectionist-based research.

BTW – I do like the fact that some folks try to paint me into a corner as a tree-huggin’, Birkenstock-wearing hippie. It's amusing. It's also projecting. Sure, I spent some time in Santa Cruz & Berkeley doing quantitative marine research, but let me assure you that I don't look like one and that my understanding about whales comes as a direct result of having working with them in captivity and diving with them in the wild. I bet the most vociferous pro-whalers on this thread have never had a first-hand encounter other than at some shabby oceanarium at the Yucatan. Very easy to speak off the top of one’s head when you don't have first-hand knowledge, or understanding.

Saving whales, or sentient critters (humans included) is not a matter of being an internet accountant.

X

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom