Done snooping, decided to introduce myself :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber rabbit,
Welcome from NJ.
The others have it right on the money . this is the Board to be on if the topic is anything related to diving, with a minor in weird humor!
Good luck,
Miked

Originally posted by CheeseWhiz

Say howdy to Br'er Bear and Br'er Possum for me.

CheeseWhiz

And, how about Br'er Fox? Do you want him to throw you in the briar patch?

Joewr...thinking nice things about Joel Chandler Harris...Puleez, Br'er CheeseWhiz, don't throw me in the Caribbean...

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! Hey Scubakat, are you using a dry suit? You can't be a cold water diving freak unless you do it wet! Went on a dive trip to Lake Huron, MI and the boat captain couldn't believe we were diving wet, water was 41 degrees at 70 feet--gotta love it! Guess I spent too many years in cold water before I was given the opportunity to dive somewhere warm. The Caribbean is nice but even while diving Grand Turk I missed my quarry, guess I'm a true BLUE cold water junkie!

If anyone is in Ohio and would like the grand tour of the best diving we have to offer let me know, I'm always game!

Hey CheeseWiz, Gilboa is always warm! The trick is to get a thermometer that only goes down to 50 degrees! Water isn't cold if it's above 50 degrees! Ever dive France Lake in New Paris, OH? It's small and shallow but since it's close for me it's a good place to sneak out for my "scuba fix" when I can locate a buddy. Just went there Sunday with my boyfriend and another DM from the university scuba program. Took the dry suits out for a spin, I'm going to have to have a heart to heart talk with mine, we're not getting along so well. Water was still 56 degrees though, great diving weather!

Safe diving everyone, I'll tell everyone in the briar patch HELLO!

Please, please don't throw me in the quarry!

Ber :bunny:

Nope...never been to New Paris. In fact, I had to get out my Atlas to find it, and still almost missed it. Anything interesting in the lake? I only go for the highest quality mud.

A group from the LDS went to Gilboa last Sunday (the 4th) and reported the water temp as 56F. Dang near balmy!

I'll give you a full report.

I'll push the true religion of Sping Diving! - - Crystal clear, cold [to us! = 78 degree] and delightful - - - Welcome

Cheers

...from one of the Tie-Dyed Thailanders!

It's good to have you here and we hope you'll come back often (no more lurking in the briar patch now!) and share your experience with us.

Sea you around...

CheeseWhiz you should know there's nothing but high quality mud in Ohio! New Paris is no Gilboa, it's mostly 14-18 feet deep but there is a trench at the far side that goes to 30 feet. There are a couple of boats, 1 or 2 cars, an old desktop computer and several platforms. Not something I would drive a long way to see but a nice place to take students or to freshen up your skills before a trip. Can get quite warm by August, have seen it 80 degrees when the summer was hot. There's a nice campground there, a swimming area in the quarry that divers have to avoid--a little tricky since there's really no markings underwater! They also have a pool that you can use if you're camping there. They even have a little ice cream shop in the summer and are currently remodeling a little restaurant.

Most of the bottom topography is flat and muddy. The trench has large rocks and some trees you need to keep an eye out for. It's hard to navigate with a compass because there is a lot of metal in the bottom, cars, boats, cans (mostly), etc. and you end up about 45 degrees to the left of where you intended to go. We went to New Paris on Nov. 4th and had 56 degree water, no thermalclines so the fall overturn has already occurred. That screwed the visibility up, only had 10-15 feet but I've seen 40 feet there in warmer weather. CHEERS!

Hi Deepy! The class is a basic OW class so my environment lecture will cover regional differences like types of environments (lakes, quarries, ocean, springs, etc.) water temp, visibility, what to see (wrecks, reefs, mud flats, etc.) hazardous marine life, currents and tides, stuff like that. If anyone knows about any good articles/websites or even personal experiences pertaining to the above I'd be interested in hearing about them. I have to have the lecture ready before 11/13/01 but am always looking for new material to improve what I have.

Happy diving!

Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom