Don't all lynch me at once but ........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil TK

The King Cruiser is indeed the Thaitanic!

It was a car ferry which used to transport people and building materials to Phi Phi from Phuket. It's about 80 metres long.

It hit Anemone Reef which is about 1 mile off its course on about a 20 mile journey. It seems that when it hit the reef there were a surpisingly large number of boats in the area plus helicopters with TV crews on board. So no one lost their life although I was told that someone injured their shoulder getting onto one of the boats.

I was told that the owners then made their insurance claim but it was then pointed out that the boat had sunk in a national park so the owners would have to pay to take it away. They then dropped the claim and the Thai Navy dragged the wreck about a mile away so it sits between Anemone Reef and Shark Point. It's upright in 32 meters of water and the Wheelhouse is at about 12 metres. It's a most impressive wreck and you can swim through the car deck out to the side - for those trained in wreck diving you can swim much further in. The wreck is fairly intact although doubtless it will deteriorate with time. A really good dive and well worth the trip if you're in Phuket or Phi Phi.

Regards

NetDoc once bubbled...
I love wrecks because I LOVE history. Give me a wreck with some background and I am enthralled. ...Let me swim along the peaceful corridors where there was so much intense panic for a brief moment. Let me try to empathise with what the captain was feeling as he saw his ship first become crippled and then finally succomb to the waves. Let me reach back and touch the lives of my predecessors.

I agree. And, Phil, you don't live too far from a GREAT wreck cemetery, Scapa Flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom