Don't all lynch me at once but ........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
can you guys explain the appeal of wreck diving ?

Let me explain why the question. I qualified 4 years ago on Cayman Brac, plenty of marine life and "pretty fish" (thats what attracted me to the sport).

However, I had the pleasure of diving on the 365 Destroyer which at the time I probably didn't appreciate how lucky I am to have that as my qualifying dive.

I enjoyed it but as a real beginner was too busy still being nervous etc to appreciate the sight.

Having now taken up the sport again and increasing my qualifications steadily, I am just curious as to what it is that people find so awesome about wreck diving.

I have yet to dive any UK wrecks, as you might guess but am hoping to do so soonish.

Just thought I'd take my life in my hands and ask you lot for your thoughts. (The repeatable one's anyway) :D

Let me make it clear I'm not having a go otherwise I wouldn't be here, I am genuinely curious as to be honest I don't get the appeal. (Maybe I will when I've done more of it)

Cheers
Phill
--------------
AOW

Some people like wrecks... some don't. That's OK as it's a great big ocean and not too many divers.

I love wrecks because I LOVE history. Give me a wreck with some background and I am enthralled. The artificial ones are "OK" (like the Grove), but give me real, someone actually died here kind of wrecks. Ones where I might see a real dead ghost! Let me swim along the peaceful corridors where there was so much intense panic for a brief moment. Let me try to empathise with what the captain was feeling as he saw his ship first become crippled and then finally succomb to the waves. Let me reach back and touch the lives of my predecessors.

You've watched the men that sailed you...
Switch from Sail to steam!
And in your belly,
You hold the treasure,
Few have ever seen!
Most of them dreams....
Most of them dreams!

Jimmy Buffett

Wrecks tend to have plenty of fish as well. They offer shelter for little fish and food for big fish. Because of the large number of nooks and crannys you get a lot of fish in a small area.

I like the surreal nature of swimming through corridors or gently drifting from deck to deck. The history is interesting too. If you know a little about the ship (how it sank, what it was carrying, interesting features) then you can look for these things while you dive.

I know plenty of people who don't like wreck diving so you are not alone

I liken it to a walk through the woods where there's an old homesite. Some may look at the flowers and the trees and the birds and animals and not pay much attention to the ruins, while others may find fascination in the human history to be uncovered among falling stone and rotting timber. Both enjoy the walk.
E. akaara

Wrecks are great...

Wrecks have stories which touch my soul....

Wrecks are great....

Wrecks are beautiful in excellent vis...

Wrecks are mysterious and creepy in low vis

Wrecks are great...

Wrecks show the history of technology and the strength of the human spirit.....

Wrecks remind me of the brave ones who came before us...

Wrecks are great

Oh yeah and in Ontario - you can look at wrecks or green and brown fish... Did I say that wrecks are great?

Tradition, honor and respect:

Traditionally we see ship on the surface. To see a ship lying in depth is strikingly unsual.

We Honor the ships that have served us, to make our time and journey here more significant.

To pay respect to the lost souls who are gone from us. The men and women who have gone down to the sea in ships

Sometimes the thought is beter than the picture.

what the attractions are.

I suppose I should go dive some and then make my mind up.

Thanks to those who responded and gave their reasons, much appreciated.

Maybe we'll bump into each other over some poor unfortunate ship one day.

Thanks again guys.

Phill

Plus prvoided you and your buddies don't kick it up the viz is actually better in the wrecks and you might actually see some of the fish!

Let's be honest the UK viz is not great so it would be somewhat disapointing to be a fish spotter and dive in the UK. Having said that there are plenty if you look out. One memorable dive we saw a school of pollack, but somehow my buddy missed them - bizarre!

Jonathan

The first wreck I dived - the King Cruiser off Phuket - brought a lot of the points made above home to me. It's eerie when the wreck materialises as you get closer. Then there's the history - in the King Cruiser's case an insurance scam gone wrong. And there's the marine life, typically very good on a wreck.

Go and dive some and see what you think!

Welshman once bubbled...
The first wreck I dived - the King Cruiser off Phuket

Is the King Cruiser wreck the one sometimes known as the 'Thaitanic' ? -a car ferry? -or am I thinking of another wreck altogether?
I've only done one wreck and that was the Tambelan liberty wreck off Bali (well, it's about 50 yrds off Bali) but the superstructure is now very smashed up. The most exciting part of that dive is the hoards of fish that mug you for titbits on the way out -some even push their heads into your BC pockets looking for food. Mad
It's a good dive though, although I've heard it termed a 'soft' wreck because no part of it isn't an easy swim through.

Phil TK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom