Don't be afraid...COMPLAIN about your LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The truth is, most experienced divers have already taken the time to find a good LDS and cultivate a positive relationship with them, so they won't have a complaint. Most of the negative things I hear about dives shops on ScubaBoard come from the less experienced who have not put in the time to find one that suits them.

I went through two of them when I first got back into diving before I found one that works for me. I guess I just forgot to start a big thread about it all. :wink:

I must be lucky all the bad shops round here went down and all we have left is good ones yay (sound dive center and peninsula dive.

I would do this a bit differently; name the places where I have made satisfying purchases...

Thesre are in no particular order:

Force-E, Boca Raton, FL; ScubaToys, Divers Direct; Dive Sports; Divers Supply; Reefpoint Diving Center, Racine, WI; Underwater Safaris, Chicago, IL; Divers Cove, Lawrence Harbor, NJ (oh, he's out of business); Richards Aqualung, NYC (also OOB); Leisure Pro, NYC.

So one might deduce from this list and my location the places I don't shop.

I think someone should start a thread where LDS owners could name all the cheap b*stards that will drive 20 miles to save $1 on an air fill, or buy all their gear online and then show up at the shop to get help with assembly, or try on equipment and then buy online for $5 less, or...

netwayne:
Yes, pteranodon but we are not talking about the LDS just charging a little more than the online retailers. We are talking about price gouging. I paid $90 for a LP hose and coupling for an Air2 (call me stupid but I was set to dive the following day) and later found out I can get the same thing for about $30 before discount plus tax and shipping from Scubatoys. So the rationale is I might pay $50 or even $55 to throw some business the way of the LDS for the convenience of their location and the knowledge they impart but they charged me $90. Imagine the markup on an item of substantial value....

I've skimmed through 6 pages and only one complaint. Non the less - without a mention of that particular dive shop.

I'll just keep the purpletrator of my horror stories to myself. No point in changing the current trend. Afterall this is the past. Nothing I can do to change it.

Let's just say my upmost convienent LDS is the one I will never set foot in again.

They are guilty for:
(1) price gouging - I paid over $165 more than I would online and they knew it (my bad I need those item the following day). Didn't even get a single courteous fill thown in to show that they wanted to earn my business. That would of been apreciated.
(2) bad mouthing and (3) refuse to fill my tanks - told me to get out and come back tomorrow if I want my tanks filled. After a short confrontation. They want to charge me $100 for each tank for a full O2 clean and re-VIP before the can fill my tanks. Both VIP and O2 cleaned sticker was current - only a month old. It was from another LDS. I did buy these tanks at that other LDS.

ZzzKing:
I think someone should start a thread where LDS owners could name all the cheap b*stards that will drive 20 miles to save $1 on an air fill, or buy all their gear online and then show up at the shop to get help with assembly, or try on equipment and then buy online for $5 less, or...

Only if they would just fill my tanks. I would gadly pay the extra $1.
Only if they would get close to the internet price. I would gadly pay the difference.
Only if they would offer a consultation service. I would gadly pay for their time. I understand no body works for free.

But "No." They think they are the only LDS in town. They ain't getting another penny from me. Not even charity money - aka save the LDS from going out of business fund.

not sure exactly what, but something can be said about the fact that in less than 24 hours, this thread had almost 2000 views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom