Don't Cross the Military!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While trying to remember unique dives on Guam it flashed on me the few times we upset the Navy. Apra Harbor is normally for ships from other lands to come in and dock on Guam. It is also the entrance to the navy's inner harbor.

At times when the navy move their warships or some new ones arrive, instant restrictions are created in the harbor. The first time I encoutered the military was coming up from a beautiful dive apparently too close to one of their ships. As we surfaced we had two boats full of men pointing their weapons on us. They insisted we get out and leave and of course that's what we did. I had two more experiences very similar at different locations and different years. We also witnessed the navy dragging huge chains over small coral reefs on the bottom and ruining them.

The navy have a serious job to do and since blowing up military ships by our enemies is a real threat we have to try and cooperate with them. None the less it always pissed us off when our nicest harbor dives would get retricted or we come across recent destruction of coral. There were times when the entire harbor was retricted from diving because they were firing off explosives of some kind underwater.

Though we felt bullied around by the military from time to time we could see for ourselves how hard they work for the defense of our country every day. Also the navy on Guam provide a decompression chamber that they share with civilians so it's not all bad. I guess in order to maintain that delicate balance between military and civilian on Guam, you may have to accept weapons being pointed at you as part of deal.
Adventure-Ocean

It's never a good idea - I always remember having to stop a bar fight many years ago - between some visiting troops and some locals yobs who thought they had a point to prove - the squaddies were trying to avoid a fight but as they left I remember a throwaway remark one made to the local hooligans trying to pick the fight.

One of them called across "Just remember - my gang is bigger than your gang !".

Phil.

Unfortunately it's going to get a lot busier there with the Marines moving from Okinawa.

Guam is just a hub --a short stopover to better Scuba destinations in Micronesia/Oceania/SE Asia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom