Don't steal my gear-I get mad dead quick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your comment sounds xenophobic. What evidence suggests that divers from the former Soviet Union, least of all non-English speaking folks display a propensity (on dive boats) for taking other people's gear?

Perhaps these "other" divers should be worried people using New Mares BC's?

Come on' get real here.

X

What are you talking about??????

The original question you quote is a perfectly reasonable one to ask. The poster never implied intentional stealing, merely 'accidental borrowing' which does happen a lot.

The original question you quote is a perfectly reasonable one to ask. The poster never implied intentional stealing, merely 'accidental borrowing' which does happen a lot.

The OP said "accidently borrow on a permanent basis." Couple that with the title of this thread and you can draw your own conclusions as to his meaning.

As Cave diver said...the original thread referred to specific nationalities and their propensity for taking gear. The original post has been edited as it was quite offensive and subjective.

X

No where on my post did I say that some nationalities are more likely to steal than others. This is the usual politically correct brigade looking for offence.
The fact is the day boats on the Red Sea, are of very mixed nationalities, and It is often impossible to even converse with other divers on board.
I was simply looking for security idea's.

No where on my post did I say that some nationalities are more likely to steal than others. This is the usual politically correct brigade looking for offence.
The fact is the day boats on the Red Sea, are of very mixed nationalities, and It is often impossible to even converse with other divers on board.
I was simply looking for security idea's.

I'll have to correct you. In your first (unedited) post you mention a very specific area of the world implying that these divers had an affinity for permanently borrowing gear.

If I represent the politically correct brigade in your eyes - glad to do it. I enjoy seeing divers from all over the planet on the same boat. I enjoy the fact that sometimes I can only communicate with my hands, sometimes through a translator, through a meal or through the activity I love the most - diving.

BTW - I have never had anything taken on a boat in over three + decades of diving.

X

As others have said, marking is good. Indelible paint stick marker.

Hint -- don't actually try to engrave things, in general, especially regs. While entertaining for technicians, getting metal slivers into a regulator's innards isn't a good thing to do :)

I either have an angel looking out for me, or as others have said the vast majority of divers are stand-up people. "Mine or yours" does happen, shrinkage just isn't an overall issue.

(That doesn't mean I'm not careful with my gear in transit -- regs, computer, camera travel with me, and I don't leave valuables lying around at resorts. That's a separate thing from being on the boat -- I'm equally careful when traveling for business, don't leave my laptop just sitting around.)

The best security idea, overall, (aside from marking all your gear - which many other posters have already pointed out) is (1) don't take anything on any dive trip you can't replace or live without; and (2) purchase an insurance policy that covers your gear both while diving AND in transit.

On the one hand I've heard horror stories of two divers both tugging on some piece of unmarked gear adrift in a pile on the dive boat, which both claimed as theirs. But I've heard (and experienced) far more frequent stories of computers, tools, etc. disappearing in transit.

Aside from being careful and alert, some losses are simply going to occur. Buy insurance.

And try to enjoy the trip.....

:wink:

Unfortunately, moderator, by removing the offensive part of Hillmorton Scubie's original post, and the posts which referenced his comment (such as mine) now he can claim he never said such a thing....

Thanks, Mr X for some well thought out posts.

I'm going diving.

I leave my guard monkey Tito in charge of things. Charter captains don't usually mind him since he's pretty good at handling lines and leaves his bananas dockside. That monkey in Pirates of the Carribean is actually based on my Tito. If you pick up my airfare from Boston to Heathrow (and a few nights accomodations) I'll bring him along and he's all yours for the day.
paintballmonk.jpg

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom