Don't use a dive computer?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......HOWEVER….

Early 1990s…
Dive computer? .....

Mid 1980s…
Bouyancy jackets are crap......

Early 1980s…
Alternate second stages are just another example .....

Late 1970s…
Do not put one of those stupid air gauges (SPG) ......

The Earth is NOT round .... it has been flat since the beginning ..... don't try to reshape it ..... and don't go to far from here otherwise you will fall off the edges .....

I was taught to use table and then the "wheel" before I bought my first computer(1997).
I will use the "wheel" to plan multi-level dive if a computer is not available.

Give me the profiles of the 2 previous dives, surface intervals, tanks size, gas mix and your SAC .... and I will put together few alternatives for you in 2 minutes :wink:
It was a somewhat rhetorical question, meant to illustrate that the current common planning practice amongst computer divers is woefully insufficient. Your software is a step in the right direction - but ultimately, I'm quite certain that many won't bother and will continue with the "jump in and let the computer sort it out" paradigm.

I know how I'd make that dive and like your methodology, it's a plan that I can put together in 2 minutes or less. That method requires additional training and knowledge beyond what is currently taught at the OW level (by the vast majority of instructors, at least) - yours requires additional software and hardware. Both will work fine, but only if the diver takes it upon themselves to do so. There are even other approaches that would be successful. We don't need to debate the merits of which approach may be better, but we can certainly agree that a planned dive is vastly superior to an unplanned dive.

I suppose the OP's original question struck a chord with me and sent me off on a tangent - we've substituted the use of computers for proper dive planning, and that's a horribly dangerous road we've set ourselves on. We now have relatively inexperienced divers believing that dives can no longer safely be accomplished without a dive computer, yet they don't know the basic elements of dive planning. We have other experienced divers believing that the only path to maximum bottom time enlightenment is through the sacred dive computer, yet still dive profiles that ensure they run out of gas far before they approach their no-deco limits. The use of tables is being relegated to a stone-age practice that is being actively discouraged by those promoting computer use, and we continue to see agencies moving farther and farther away from teaching this basic skill. Mental engagement in diving is becoming a thing of the past, and that can't possibly be good.

My question was meant to illustrate that once certain goals are imposed on a dive, dive-planning becomes a necessity if success is to be expected. And isn't that the point? When I dive, I have certain things I want to accomplish underwater. I want a nice, long dive. I want to use all the gas I paid for (and can use safely). And I want to see certain choice features of the selected dive site. I need a plan that allows me to accomplish all those goals; I don't want to leave it to chance and I can't afford to leave it to chance.

We've got to bring proper dive planning back into the mainstream...

Lot of harsh replies but it's 2011 and as much as I like Sea Hunt, there has been progress in scuba since the 50s. Sure, you don't need a puter or even a BC. Yes, you could have a big lump of a analog depth gauge and a watch but why?
Here's a hint: Calculators replaced slide rules

Talk to an (American) high school teacher about how well that's worked out...

Ever been in a store when the cash register stops working? You’d think there was advanced calculus involved in making change. Or try giving the young kid behind the counter extra change to get a dollar back instead of a bunch of change OMG!!! Put the average teen in a car with a stick shift watch what happens.
That’s progress?!? These days’ people hire other people to dive with them because they haven’t got enough training to be confident in their own abilities, but we have so many more people diving......... and dying. I'm all for the new gear. I buy what I can use and take advantage of it but, I can take back it to the 1950's setup and dive without a problem. How many diving today can? Progress? I guess to some progress means dumbing down.

My maxim is "dive as planned"

Based on this, I plan what I'm going to dive depth and time, for this I plan multilevel dives using eRDP. During the dive I am aware with a clock and analog console.

In dives with peers with computer and noticed that there really is no diferecia.

Proper use of a computer can increase bottom time, but if we remember that it planned dive can be counterproductive.

My brother gave me a computer, I use it as a backup to be aware of what was planned and then fill the blog with more accurate data.

We planned to dive and not just into the water and leave until the computer tells us it's time.

If Auntie is using US Navy dive tables, they are the least conservative of anything. More recent PADI tables are more conservative. Diving tables assumes that you plan your dive & dive the plan, or it doesn't work. Who does not do multi-level diving? Basically no one except working divers. So you need to know how to do multi-level with tables. When doing multiple dives/day over several days, you'll soon find bottom time becomes minimal compared to diving a computer. Try doing 4 dives/day every day to a week or 2 or 3. First dive could be something like 90ft max depth for 75 min, which by the tables has you decompressing for several minutes. It's downhill from there. Good luck with no computer. You'll have more time on the beach & to do some local shopping.
BUY ONE.

Have you stopped to consider the inherent contradiction between these two statements:
If Auntie is using US Navy dive tables, they are the least conservative of anything.
and:
When doing multiple dives/day over several days, you'll soon find bottom time becomes minimal compared to diving a computer.
It would be good if you did, because you can't have it both ways.

Who does not do multi-level diving? Basically no one except working divers.
How about recreational wreck divers who descend 20 meters (for example) to the wreck, spend 45 minutes there, and ascend at 10 meters per minute to their safety stop, and then surface. Do you consider that multi-level diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom