Dorcy 41-0467 availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would appear that Dorcy has been reading all of the comments on this (and others?) board about their first effort in the scuba market and have reacted to address the concerns expressed.

That's remarkable.

However, it does raise the question of why this isn't the norm. Inertia? Egos? Lack of concern?

It would appear that Dorcy has been reading all of the comments on this (and others?) board about their first effort in the scuba market and have reacted to address the concerns expressed.

That's remarkable.

However, it does raise the question of why this isn't the norm. Inertia? Egos? Lack of concern?

I would say that Dorcy has been very supportive of divers there! :thumb:

I think I started the first Dorcy thread here after I heard about their light. I couldn't find any previous threads on them and was wondering more about this light.

I got a PM/email from them answering questions within a day or two..... :thumb:

Dorcy makes very nice lights. I own a non-dive Dorcy which I love and managed to get one of the 1rst generation dive lights before most suppliers sold out. This LED is very bright with a tight focused beam.

I also have an Intova wide beam. On night reef dives I bring them both. I like the Intova because it exposes more area. The Dorcy is great for signaling and searching. For me, the ideal dive light for OW night reefs would be switchable between a tight focused beam and a wide spot.

BTW- Wall Mart on-line is showing they have stock on the Dorcy light.

Dorcy makes very nice lights. I own a non-dive Dorcy which I love and managed to get one of the 1rst generation dive lights before most suppliers sold out. This LED is very bright with a tight focused beam.

I also have an Intova wide beam. On night reef dives I bring them both. I like the Intova because it exposes more area. The Dorcy is great for signaling and searching. For me, the ideal dive light for OW night reefs would be switchable between a tight focused beam and a wide spot.

BTW- Wall Mart on-line is showing they have stock on the Dorcy light.

Thanks for that Pinto. I presume when you mentioned your Intova, you're referring to the wide angle Intova - this one:
:: INTOVA ::

I was giving strong consideration to that one for the same reasons that you mentioned.

I dive in warm clear water. Backscatter isn't a big issue. Shallow water night dive sight seeing tours. So a wide beam is worth consideration. My thinking is the same as yours - it'd be great to have a small light for recreational night dives that would allow you to adjust the beam angle.

The downsides of the Intova wide angle vs the Dorcy: 3AAAs vs 6AAAs - longer burn time on the Dorcy, 130 lumens vs 180 lumens (on the current Dorcy). Elsewhere on the forum, I've seen 'packhorse' complain that the Intova was too wide and too soft. Think that's what he said.

Carrying both a Dorcy and an Intova Wide Angle may be the best current solution.

Thanks for that Pinto. I presume when you mentioned your Intova, you're referring to the wide angle Intova - this one:

I was giving strong consideration to that one for the same reasons that you mentioned.

I dive in warm clear water. Backscatter isn't a big issue. Shallow water night dive sight seeing tours. So a wide beam is worth consideration. My thinking is the same as yours - it'd be great to have a small light for recreational night dives that would allow you to adjust the beam angle.

The downsides of the Intova wide angle vs the Dorcy: 3AAAs vs 6AAAs - longer burn time on the Dorcy, 130 lumens vs 180 lumens (on the current Dorcy). Elsewhere on the forum, I've seen 'packhorse' complain that the Intova was too wide and too soft. Think that's what he said.

Carrying both a Dorcy and an Intova Wide Angle may be the best current solution.

You're mixing up your Intova's.

The Intova Wide Angle uses cr123a batteries. They've been around for over a year, maybe even 2, and have been the subject of many discussions. Good lights, but the magnetic switches have had some issues which may or may not have been resolved with more recent revisions.

The Intova Narrow uses cr123a batteries. They've been around for over a year, maybe even 2, and have been the subject of many discussions. Good lights, but the magnetic switches have had some issues which may or may not have been resolved with more recent revisions.

The Intova Compact Torch has a narrow beam, and uses 3 AAA batteries. Very new the scene, few people have them. No long term reliability info available.

I don't have lumen comparisons on the Intova Compact vs. the Dorcy, but the only side-by-side comparison I've seen actually gives a slight edge to the Intova Compact. The Dorcy wins on burn time because of it's 6 vs 3 batteries, although the Intova has an ace up it's sleeve: a 30% power setting that stretches the power to similar duration, at the cost of bright light output. I can tell you that the 30% power setting is still a good amount of light.

Beachnik- Your are correct on that Intova. This is a soft light by comparison but for the reefs at night in clear water just the right amount for me. I have not had a problem with the switch. I need to examine it closer tonight in that it does not seem to be magnetically operated. Perhaps they changed the disign. I'll let you know. CR123A batteries can be found just about anywhere and not that expensive.

I may just duct tape the Dorcy to the Intova and end my search for a reasonably priced combination reef dive light :wink:

Back
Top Bottom