Double 50 Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budprop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of 50cu ft tanks (NOT HP) for a great price. I would like to build a double 50 and the guy is offering me a double manifold for a few bucks more. The problem is I don't know anything about the manifold. From what I have been able to research, it is a DACOR 3000 psi manifold. It looks to be brand new, is in the original package. Obviously I will have it serviced before diving on it, but should I buy the manifold?

Mahalo!

Guessing but odds are it's an old school manifold - it connects the tanks together with one outlet valve, not 2 as is found in manifolds today. It may be J valve to boot. If you want to dive it old school, basically as a larger tank then it's fine. If you are wanting a modern style with the ability to use each tank independently, then it will not work. Frankly, I see no reason to double that size tanks unless you just want the look. Using a single 100 is a much better option -only 1 VIP and Hydro to deal with plus the hassle of disassembly and reassembly every year for the VIP. I have a set of twin 38s that I love but it's purely for old school cool, a single 72 is much more practical and half the cost to maintain.

I will assume these are steel 50's. I would not double ALs. If they are, bands are available from Dive Gear Express, if they do not come with them. As for the manifold, I agree with herman, it needs to be an isolation manifold. That may be hard to come by.

There are a number of very good divers using "Tiny Doubles". They are small, can get into tight areas, offer full redundancy and can actually hold a lot of gas if they are jammed. A double 50 will hold between 100CF and 140CF (Jammed). Not an insignificant amount of gas. A single tank even with an H-valve does not offer the type of redundancy that a double will offer and will normally have a larger profile in the water. I have also thought about getting a pair for my daughter if she goes side mount.

Lookup "Tiny Doubles" and you will see some write-ups on them.

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of 50cu ft tanks (NOT HP) for a great price. I would like to build a double 50 and the guy is offering me a double manifold for a few bucks more. The problem is I don't know anything about the manifold. From what I have been able to research, it is a DACOR 3000 psi manifold. It looks to be brand new, is in the original package. Obviously I will have it serviced before diving on it, but should I buy the manifold?

Mahalo!

Hello Budprop

Two key things here 1) know what you're dealing with and 2) know what you want from the twinset as it relates to your diving goals.

There are a number of tanks in the 50cf range that have been used for doubles over the years. Some are better than others. Check the tank dimensions to be sure you know what you're getting:

a) Some early 50cf twinsets used 6.9" diameter cylinders with a 3AA1800 stamp (1980 PSI with the "+") with an actual capacity of 52-53 cf at 1980 PSI. These are bulky, heavy (at 22 pounds each), and floaty (about +3 empty each). If vintage diving is your thing then maybe these tanks are right for you, otherwise, avoid them.

b) There are also some very early repurposed fire extinguisher, aviation, or industrial cylinders out there, usually with a 3A (not 3AA) stamp before the pressure rating, and usually with tapered valve threads. They are extremely heavy, and valve parts, service, compatible valves, and air fills are problematic to obtain. Avoid these unless you're running a museum.

c) The more desirable steels for smaller twinsets are the 5.5" diameter ones. I believe these have been made in 40, 45, and 50 cf capacities over the years with the difference being the length. All weigh around 19 pounds per cylinder. Again know what you're getting. Capacity aside, some taller divers find the shorter cylinders to be awkward.

So, manifolds and bands. In general the vintage cylinders will use vintage manifolds with a metal-to-metal connection between cylinders, no isolator valve, and a single yoke outlet. Vintage equipment enthusiasts still use those however they do not provide the reliability and safety of a modern manifold. That said, the 6.9" diameter cylinders can be set up with modern manifolds and bands as long as the threads on the cylinder aren't the old tapered ones. Most 5.5" cylinder twinsets use modern, o-ring, dual outlet manifolds. Some will have a short crossbar with no isolator valve and use bands with a shorter center-to-center distance. Others use a standard crossbar leaving more space between cylinders to accommodate it. If you're dealing with a manifold that's still in a box, you do want to be sure it matches the spacing of the bands you have.

If you are getting the doubles because you like the way they trim out, any manifold will work. If you're using your regulators in tech configuration, you'll need the dual outlets. If you are depending on full redundancy, then you'll need dual outlets and an isolator valve.

I have a pair of these tanks which I have decommissioned because of the sustained load cracking (SLC) issues with these tanks. They can still be brought back, but I haven't dived them for something like three years now, and they have a very old valve manifold, and 1970s backpack, on them. I enjoyed diving them a lot, and was sorry to see them go, but I don't want to risk the problems with these tanks.

Their pluses as a set of doubles is that you can sit down anywhere with them, and they won't be a hinderence, for donning fins, etc. They are compact, and have great buoyancy characteristics. They also have the same diameter as a single steel 71.2 cylinder, so all the old harness/backpacks for double 72s will work with them. When I was diving with them, I used a Sherwood double-post manifold, and used very old double hose regulators at times with them. I also used a military harness, which I still like on my replacement twin steel 52s and twin steel 45s. Here's what mine look like:

This is probably why you are getting them at such a great price. The SLC issues are real. The way to prevent this is to dive them, then not fill them until you are ready to dive them again. Sustained load means just that, that they remain pressurized for a sustained time, and because of the makeup of this aluminum alloy, they can crack because of the sustained load.

Before buying them, be sure that they are eddy current tested, by someone independent of the seller, to ensure that there is no cracks in the threads.

SeaRat

I have a set of doubles, twin 40s, with an 'old school' manifold. The tanks are mounted on 5.5 bands. There is no redundancy, but then there is no redundancy with the equivalent single 80cf tank. I set this system up because of its wonderful trim and balance. The manifold, bands, and tanks were all acquired separately, used, and the whole shooting match came to $200. The manifold is a straightforward k valve type. The positive buoyancy as the tanks empty is easily compensated for. Multiple small tank arrangements with a simple manifold are greatly under appreciated and misunderstood.

My steel double 50s are easily my favorite tanks to dive. The bands I have have a large center bar so they accept a standard doubles manifold. They are really well made and I'd buy another set of bands from the same company without any hesitation. New Stainless Steel Tank Bands For 5.50 Inch Diameter Cylinders

My steel double 50s are easily my favorite tanks to dive. The bands I have have a large center bar so they accept a standard doubles manifold. They are really well made and I'd buy another set of bands from the same company without any hesitation. New Stainless Steel Tank Bands For 5.50 Inch Diameter Cylinders

I agree. I found the 5.5 bands that are built around the 8.5, CTC of the standard isolator manifold are perfect. I have some OMS 50 that work in this setup as a really nice set of doubles.

If the manifold is an old dual post Dacor, center and side, it has value for vintage divers and for a few bucks you could make a tidy profit on it and not let it go to waste. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom