Double LP98s too big for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keysdvr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Question for the forum. Looking at picking up a set of used OMS LP98's. Good condition, recent hydro/vis, born in the mid 90s, already set up as doubles for $300. Here's my question - is this setup too big for me?

the background: 200 Dives, last 50-60 in BP/W w/ single. Looking at getting into tech, was going to get a set of doubles to start working with. I'm 5'9", 160, athletic, but not a huge guy.

Do I:
1) pick them up and try to use them
2) pick them up and try to swap them for something smaller (LP85s / HP100s)
3) wait and save my money for something that would fit me better.

thanks in advance for all the comments and guidance...

shouldn't be bad. they are 24 inches long which is the same as most hp100s. they are a bit bigger and heavier than hp100s, but with a good fill you'll get 120cf each.

I have a set of LP 95's. About the same as those weight wise. I never doubled them up because I was not doing enough dives where I just stand up and fall off the boat. I still have them though. Right now they are set up for sidemount so I don't have to walk with them on my back. They are great tanks though. Lots of gas and always a full fill. Some places still can't , won't, or don't know how to fill HP tanks.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 09:16 PM ----------

At $300 bucks I'd jump on em if they have good hydro's and current vis. That is dirt cheap.

Size should be fine... Just make sure they aren't rusted out. OMS had a terrible bunch of tanks that rusted out under boots and bands. I drilled holes through two of them personally...

I am a 5'6" female & I dive doubled LP108's & HP130's frequently,.... well not as frequently as I used to after getting the rebreather:D,.... but i generally have very little issues handling them. The only issue (& it is a small one) is getting them into the back of my truck. I can not deadweight lift them much past my knees,.. I solve that by having an intermediate stage (a chair) I lift them into the chair resting against the tail gate, then get into the truck bed & haul them up the rest of the way. To move them from the truck to a set- up table, I either put my back plate on & back pack them or bear hug them & carry them to the table.

I went with lp85's for my doubles because of the dead weight factors

Back
Top Bottom