Double Tank Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I currently only dive with a single alum. 80.
I am looking for a simple way to set up a set of double alum 80's with my single tank B.C.
Most of the time I will still be diving with the single alum 80 so I do not want to get carried away with a complex high priced setup.

Any suggestions?

Juggernaut, I understand your desire to save $. It is hard enough to earn them.

In you shoes, though, I would re-evaluate the need that is pushing you towards doubles. That much gas usually comes from a need for bottom time, which means deco, which means redundancy...this is a thing to do right, both in equipment and training. Please don't cut corners.

Don't get me wrong, I love my jacket BC. It is a perfect tool for me, when it comes to recreational diving or photography. When I plan a dive that is deco obligated, however, you will not find my jacket in sight.

I believe there are jackets that will convert to doubles, if you cannot stomach the thought of wings, though.

All the best, James

Thanks for the reply FDog!

I truly appreciate your response.

Training and or experience are not the problem here. I have been diving for over 22 years, blah, blah, blah.

I will admit that I do not buy into the idea that "you should not be diving" unless you are are on the leading edge of the technology that the industry is trying to sell you. I started diving in the 70's and to be honest most of my gear is still from that era. It worked fine then and still does.

You are quite correct in having redundancy, I already have an octopus built into my BC inflater and a completely independant 30 cu. ft. pony bottle set up as backup, and lets not forget the air supply of our buddy as a last resort.

Decompression diving used to be the norm, as far back as I can remeber. It has only been since the "sport diving" trend started in the late seventies and eighties that "no deco" diving became trendy.

I really dont see how the method used to attach your tanks to your body has to be that complicated. I would assume someone must sell a bracket or a plate that would attach to the single tank BC that you could then attach the doubles to.

I just want something simple for the one or two times a year that I would like to do a dive around or past the 100 ft. mark.
Most of the time we do not exceed 75 feet.

Thanks again for your response.

Craig

Juggernaut:
I just want something simple for the one or two times a year that I would like to do a dive around or past the 100 ft. mark.
Most of the time we do not exceed 75 feet.

Thanks again for your response.

Craig

If you "simply" attach two tanks to a BC made for singles, then you
(A) May not have enought lift for both tanks.
(B) May not be able to inflate the BC because the bladder will be underneath the tanks.

As you say you're using a pony, then rig a second 80 as a stage/deco bottle. This of course assumes (probably incorrectly), that your BC has the correct attachment points and has the lift to accomodate twice the tanks that its made for.

Its a stupid idea IMO. No matter to how long you've been diving.

Mech Diver

So many experts here.

In my response to FDog I was not trying to provoke anything, in fact I was trying to show my appreciation of his advice.

I have noticed on many of these forums that if anyone has an idea outside the realm of experience of today's, "3 day weekend diver certification training", that it must be immediately ridiculed and dismissed. That anyone asking a question here must have less experience or knowledge than those reading the posts.

I remember the day when, just before I started diving, BCD 's where not in common usage at all. The diver properly weighted themselves for the depth they were diving. If diving with doubles using the original backpack worked years ago I would assume it still does.

When you incorrectly assume the BC bladder will not provide enough lift you are obviously not understanding the principle of proper weight usage.

Also to incorrectly assume the BC bladder is "beneath the tanks and unable to inflate correctly" is naive. Most jacket style BC's that I have seen inflate in the front of the diver, not behind.

All I was asking for was an idea or two.

Are there any divers out there that still remember what diving was all about before the flourescent pink tanks and all the other trendy gadgets and knicknacks?

If so I would like your advice.

Juggernaut:
Mech Diver

Also to incorrectly assume the BC bladder is "beneath the tanks and unable to inflate correctly" is naive. Most jacket style BC's that I have seen inflate in the front of the diver, not behind.

I apologize. I gave you credit for at least wanting to use a halfway decent BC to do this stunt.

And, "diving for over 22 years, blah blah" simply means you're 22 years older than when you started. It does not indicate that you have any skills, experience, common sense, or ability.

By some of your comments, most of that is apparent.

Have a good day

Mech diver

If you had been able to read my original post correctly the request was to find a way to use my single tank BC. You obviously overlooked the whole point of my request.

I find that most people will hide behind credentials and training and do not really have any ability or acutal intellegence.
Hence the "blah, blah, blah." I did not want to appear to be one of those morons.

I am sure you are quite familiar with this situation.

You can take your arrogant attitude and your pretty pink tank and go play with the other newbies.

Juggernaut:
I currently only dive with a single alum. 80.
I am looking for a simple way to set up a set of double alum 80's with my single tank B.C.
Most of the time I will still be diving with the single alum 80 so I do not want to get carried away with a complex high priced setup.

Any suggestions?

Just thought Id post the original question to get this thread back on track. No need for gettin all rowdy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom