doubles wing selection question - OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask DGX. Or DUI, the owner of OMS..
I may. Step 1: receive it and have a look and form my own opinion on build quality... Step 2: If I think it looks good, maybe ask DGX about availability of replacement parts, especially bladder (because I presume dump valve and inflator etc. do not necessarily have to be from the original maker - but I can ask that too).

You might ask them about their return policy re clearance items.

Last edited:
so the one on the left is the same design they've had for umpteen years. I have one in 45lb and it's fine. I don't use it, but it's fine. The one on the right is basically a stolen Halcyon Evolve design. OF those two, and being the same price, I'd get the one on the right
I didn't realize Halcyon design and make their own regs.
I never ever have any problem with my OMS twin bladder bungee wing! And i never ever required to contact OMS for anything unlike all my buddies who are using Halycon eg. the spring in the dump valve, power inflater, delaminated fabric etc etc.

Last edited:
I think he meant wings.... which they do, they don't do their regs though

I love my Halcyon 40 lb doubles wings mainly because they are quite supple/responsive and "supple" can be more puncture and abrasion resistant than stiff, unyielding, and crunchy (like most other wings). Its neat that they make them themselves and are responsible for their performance.

Potentially looking at OMS Ocean Wing (Horseshoe, singles & doubles, camband slots, sets of 3 grommets) or at OMS doubles performance wing (donut, doubles only, single grommet set).
Most likely 45 lbs lift.

Intended use is as dedicated doubles wing (I do not do doubles just yet, but intend to play with it... possibly up to doubles 130hp ... but TBD... (as in, I am not looking for a wing optimised for double 80s or smaller)

I think I would quite like the left/right air movement properties of a donut over a horseshoe - but I am open for more wisdom there...

What gives me pause is the single grommet set in the "performance" wing. Might that be too limiting in allowing for mount positions (trim)? Or not really - how should I think about this?

And then, I (250lbs, 6', dry or 7mil or 5 mil or 3mil... pending (icy to warm) am thinking 45lbs lift.
The other choice is 60 lbs.
I seem to have a hard time figuring out why I might want that much... certainly not for most of what I think I might do).
While I think I really have no need for 69 lbs lift, maybe you could help me understand:
When, under what circumstances, why would one want 60 lbs lift? An example?

I skimmed through bunch of threads, like e.g. the one below, but it seems I am maybe looking at too specific a set of questions. Hence this thread.
Formula for estimating wing size?
Diving Dub 130's in a DS you need 60 lb wing " Halcyon".

I think he meant wings.... which they do, they don't do their regs though
No I did mean regs!
Halcyon doesn't make regs but there are Halcyon's regs in the market.
I found the word "stolen" inappropriate to describe OMS donuts wing on your previous post.
Did Halcyon patent that design?

@Centrals there was nothing to patent, but even if they did the cost wasn't worth it. OMS decided it was a good design and copied it. They stole the design since I'm sure Halcyon didn't give them permission to do it. No real recourse unless they went after it for copyright, but that isn't worth the time and money.
That said, what they did was very different than Halcyon licensing a regulator design from Scubapro, and having it made by Scubapro which is something called stencilling. Completely different than just liking a design and copying it. Done all the time obviously and nothing inherently wrong with it, DRiS did with the Trianta wing which was basically a Halcyon Eclipse 30 design with different materials and made in China vs. USA.

I use a Dive Rite 65lb wing in my heavy doubles setup w/ drysuit stage, deco bottles, scooter, etc. I use my 40lb no-brand wing for warm water diving with some deco. I only have doughnut wings.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom