Downloading video from Go Pro on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best thing to do is always have 2 versions of your raw video files. One on your SD cards and another saved on your laptop. If you leave it all on one SD card till the end of your vacation you run the risk of catastrophic loss. if the SD card fails or gets stolen. Shoot with a small SD card and transfer it every few dives to your laptop and you risk loss if the laptop gets stolen, or damaged. Shooting on multiple smaller SD cards and transfering files after dives while keeping same files on your SD cards ensures two copies. Emailing copies of files to yourself is another option.

May I suggest a portable hard drive with built-in card reader like this:
Amazon.com: Digital Foci Photo Safe II PST-251 500 GB Digital Picture Storage (Blue/White): Camera & Photo

I've used one like this for years (a different, older model that isn't available now) for downloading photos and videos from SD cards. Worked great. Just plug in the card when you get back to the hotel, let it download while you are at dinner, or taking a shower.

I second this recommendation, been using a photosafe for years and it has worked really well.

May I suggest a portable hard drive with built-in card reader like this:
Amazon.com: Digital Foci Photo Safe II PST-251 500 GB Digital Picture Storage (Blue/White): Camera & Photo

I've used one like this for years (a different, older model that isn't available now) for downloading photos and videos from SD cards. Worked great. Just plug in the card when you get back to the hotel, let it download while you are at dinner, or taking a shower.

As the GoPros now reset the file naming counter each time you clear the card, how do these resolve matching file names?

Back
Top Bottom