Downloads. What other options do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago when I looked into this, some of the MP3 players could read camera cards, with an adapter. Don't know if that ever went anywhere.

hard drive case - DealExtreme find a case with USB capability and no drive already in it. About $50 for an empty case

+

Card Readers, Cheap Mini Card Reader, Discount Memory Card Readers on Sale - DealExtreme find a cheap car-to-USB reader, $5 to $10, the $1 ones are junk.

+

Wholesale - Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com for an android or windows mobile based netbook or tablet PC with 2 USB ports, available for under $100 USD

Less than $200 USD and you can even use the tablet PC to read ebooks during the surface interval.
Are you saying to run the external HD off the tablet? The tablets there don't seem to have much internal storage.

yep, the tablets are pretty meager for internal storage, some of the more expensive netbooks (200-300 US) have 100 Gig drives in them, but the cheap ones around the 70-90 US mark tend to only have Flash memory 2 to 8 gig chip drives. Enough to fit the android, a text reader, a bunch of Android Apps and a few dozen ebooks, they're hardly high performance laptops. But for that price, would you expect them to be? They're little more than an Android smartphone with the "phone" bit removed and a 7" screen.

They come with USB ports, you can use those to plug the external drive into tho, and most actually also have card reader slots, WHICH card type can be pot luck, hence why I chucked the $5 USB to SD card reader in the mix, just in case the reader on the tablet chosen is sony memory stick etc...

Since the whole kit costs about the same as a drive with integrated card readers, the extra functionality of being able to read ebooks on the boat or to update your eDivelog without waiting to get home, and with Wifi on most, you can use them to check Scubaboard in the hotel lobby :D

I have one I use like a kindle-type ebook reader, and I am getting another to give to my mother for the same use.

Anyone know why the phrase 'external drive' in the last two posts is a hyperlink to a listing of external drives on eBay? I didn't link to that in my post (guess I'm assuming Kiwi didn't either). Gremlins?

I don't see the hyperlinks, or any indication that the mods made changes to the posts?

there is a SLIGHT clolour change to the auto-linked words, just hover your mouse over them

I still don't see what he's referring to.
ABP must be doing it's thing in FireFox.

Hey, I see little wriggling thread-like tendrils coming off your post. What's up with SB? Wh...? Did anyone else notice it get darker all of a sudden?

Back
Top Bottom